From: Daniel F. Savarese [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 18 July 2002 19:34
To: ORO Users List
Subject: Re: Util and Substitute Javadocs/Problems

The source for Substitution.java is:

public interface Substitution {
  public void appendSubstitution(StringBuffer appendBuffer, MatchResult
match,
                                 int substitutionCount,
                                 PatternMatcherInput originalInput,
                                 PatternMatcher matcher, Pattern pattern);
}

The signatures of all of the substitute methods in the Util source are:

  public static String substitute(PatternMatcher matcher, Pattern pattern,
                                  Substitution sub, String input, int
numSubs);

  public static String substitute(PatternMatcher matcher, Pattern pattern,
                                  Substitution sub, String input);

  public static int substitute(StringBuffer result,
                               PatternMatcher matcher, Pattern pattern,
                               Substitution sub, String input,
                               int numSubs);

  public static int substitute(StringBuffer result,
                               PatternMatcher matcher, Pattern pattern,
                               Substitution sub, PatternMatcherInput input,
                               int numSubs);

You're probably just making a typo where you omitted one argument
or switched the order of two arguments.  It's easy to do because
there are so many darned arguments (for the sake of flexibility).

daniel