I'm not quite sure I understand the problem completely but I think that the
problem is that * is greedy.  Try using +? instead (take a look at the
package javadoc for org.apache.oro.text.regex to find out more about
greediness).  So in the end your regex might look something like
This will match xxx in group 3 and pick out both the ?_xxxx_ and v_xxxx_
matches.

hth

Dave