On Tue, 2009-07-28 at 13:13 +0100, Beat Forster wrote:
> Hello Patrick,
>
> my opinion is that this is not worth an API
> change. DeleteSyncSet always expects to remove
> all elements of the sync set, a return value
> different to this is anyway not allowed and might
> be interesting for statistics but in all other
> cases very confusing.

Yes, that's also what I thought. My last sentence should have said "API
extension", like DeleteSyncSetCounted(). Do you also think that this is
not necessary?

>  Usually the engine knows
> about the number of elements in the sync set,
> therefore no additional information is needed to
> get this count.
> In case of a refresh-from-server I assume the
> sync set will not be read, but the plugin could
> return 20030 if no ReadNextItem sequence has been
> done before. So the engine will remove element by
> element then and get the number of elements this
> way.

I'm not sure I follow here. Suppose a database plugin implements the
current DeleteSyncSet(). How does the engine know how many items were
deleted? Is it possible without causing overhead (the main reason for
the existance of DeleteSyncSync(), I suppose)?

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

on behalf of Intel on this matter.