Hello Patrick,

On 25.04.2014, at 21:47, Patrick Ohly <patrick.o...@intel.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> The bigger problem will be on the Evolution side. I don't see how I can
> teach libsynthesis that a IMPP entry whose protocol (encoded as part of
> the value!) is xmpp maps to X-JABBER.

I see no direct way either.

> Should I keep the traditional JABBER_HANDLE array and move entries back
> and forth between it and the IMPP array? This could be done with
> incoming/outgoing resp. afterread/beforewrite scripts.

I guess that's the way to go. In particular, I added the incoming/outgoing
scripts on the datatypes (looong time ago :-) for very similar problems, after
realizing that the formerly pure declarative way to describe vCard/Calendar
types was getting more and more complex and still not catching all cases at
hand.

In the libsynthesis based iOS clients, incoming/outgoing scripts are used a lot
for exactly this type of normalizing data for the internal representation. No
surprise that the scripting engine got regex support then...

The afterread/beforewrite script could do such a conversion as well, however
for normalizing data these are executed too late on the server side for
normalized data to be used in slow sync matching, so it'll be more complicated
to correctly match and merge records.

So I'd think doing this in incoming/outgoing scripts would be better. As you
said, JABBER_HANDLE would need to be kept as a temporary storage area for the
parser to put X-JABBER values into, but the IMPP array would be the actual
internal representation for the data.

Best Regards,

Lukas