Hello,

I am not sure if this is the right place to inquire about this, but I'm just
trying my luck.

Last friday my workstation worked fine, but after the weekend, somehow it
rebooted, but failed to continue until the GUI.

There was a prompt waiting for my input :

Code:

INIT : entering runlevel :

I tried entering 0-5, but this error appears

Code:

INIT : no more processes left in this runlevel

I've encountered numerous of threads regarding this, but mostly it occurs
during shut down.

What I have done :

1.      Use the CD to enter the 'linux rescue' mode --> chroot /mnt/sysimage
2.      Checked my /etc/inittab, i have only "id:5:initdefault:"
uncommented.
3.      Assuming the file was corrupted, Tried to copy from
/etc/inittab.rpmsave, but there's no such file.
4.      So I've added the /etc/inittab with these commands:

id:5:initdefault:
si::sysinit:/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit

l0:0:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 0
l1:1:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 1
l2:2:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 2
l3:3:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 3
l4:4:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 4
l5:5:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 5
l6:6:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 6

ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t3 -r now

pf::powerfail:/sbin/shutdown -f -h +2 "Power Failure; System Shutting Down"

pr:12345:powerokwait:/sbin/shutdown -c "Power Restored; Shutdown Cancelled"

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty2
3:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty3
4:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty4
5:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty5
6:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty6

x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

(taken from http://basiclinuxcommand.blogspot.co...iguration.html
<http://basiclinuxcommand.blogspot.com/2008/11/view-show-linux-inittab-confi
guration.html> )

After I rebooted, it had successfully entering level 5.
But there were numerous 'Segmentation Faults', which I wasn't able to
capture as it was too fast.(May I know how can I capture all those errors?)
Then, instead of the GUI, a black screen with these prompt came out.

Centos release 5.2 (Final)
Kernel 2.6.18.92.1.13.e15 on an i686
(none) login:

And even I entered a login (root or other users), it came back the same
prompt. No prompt for password, just login.
So I reverted back to the original version of inittab.
Tried id:0-5, still the same error ("no more processes left")

5.      fsck : "Running e2fsck on mounted filesystem may cause severe damage
filesystem."So I skipped.
6.      fdisk -l :

disk /dev/sda xxxGB
Device     Boot   Start    End     Blocks    Id     System
/dev/sda1   *       1       13     104381    83     Linux
/dev/sda2          14      17821   14xxxxx   8e     Linux LVM

7.      uname -r : 2.6.18-92.1.13.e15
8.      rpm -qV initscripts

S.?.... T c /etc/inittab
S.?.... T c /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit

9.      I tried to access using the single mode, ('a' then 'single' during
boot choice) and succeded.

*       fsck :

fsck 1.3.9 (2/5/06)
e2fsck 1.3.9 (2/5/06)
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00: clean,
e2fsck 1.3.9 (2/5/06)
/boot: clean,

*       When I exited the single mode, the same thing appears.

INIT : entering runlevel : 5
INIT : no more processes left in this runlevel

Sorry for the lengthy post.
I am still new at this and I think I am running in circles.
Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
Btw, if possible, I would like to avoid wiping out all my data.

Thank you.

---

OSCC MAMPU MyMeeting Version 2.0 Release
http://knowledge.oscc.org.my/solution-areas/application/mymeeting

*  To visit MAMPU Opensource on the web, go to:
    http://opensource.mampu.gov.my

*  To visit OSCC Knowledge Bank on the web, go to:
    http://www.oscc.org.my

*  To unsubscribe from this group, please go here: