Hi Juergen,

> Hi Guillermo,
>
> On Monday 01 September 2014 13:11:48 Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia wrote:
>> I am playing around to see if I can replace udev with mdev for the
>> mini2440.
>>
>> Most of it is working but as soon as I remove udev, I also lose the
>> /dev/fd, /dev/stdin, /dev/stdout, /dev/stderr entries
>
> Are you sure, you need these entries? It seems to me it is used in very rare
> cases.

I am not really sure. Initially I was just comparing the /dev tree
after moving from udev to mdev, to identify potential issues.
I noticed these nodes were missing and could not find where they were
being created.
I was then surprised to see that these are specialcased by udev (see
[1] for version 182 which is the one used by the Mini2440 BSP)

I don't really know if I need these entries but the fact that they are
handled specially by udev makes me wonder.

Also I know that bash uses /dev/fd for process substitution ,e.g. you can try:

$ echo >(true)

Anyway I need an init script for mdev (to tell the kernel to use it
for hotplug events, and also for the initial coldplugging). Since I
will need to write this script anyway, I can just create these nodes
there.

 [1] http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/hotplug/udev.git/tree/src/udevd.c#n960

Best,

Guillermo