Hi Ian,

On Sunday 28 September 2014 16:21:22 ian c wrote:
> Anyone can help me to understand this configuration or may be point me to a
> website/discussion regarding this? The reason is that I would like to
> create other bootable partition for software fail-safe update mechanism
> where I can point the u-boot to boot the latest software.

It describes how to build a disk image.

> image @IMAGE@ {
>     hdimage {
>         partition-table = true
>     }

Create a partition in the disk image

>     partition uboot {
>         image = @UBOOT@
>         in-partition-table=false
>         size=1023k
>         offset=1k
>     }

Locate at offset 1k an invisible partition for the bootloader.

>     partition env {
>         image = @DTB@
>         in-partition-table=false
>         size=1024k
>         offset=1024k
>     }

Locate at offset 1M an invisible partition for the device tree.

>     partition dtb {
>         image = @DTB@
>         in-partition-table=false
>         size=1024k
>         offset=2048k
>     }

Locate at offset 2M an invisible partition for a second copy of the device
tree.

>     partition kernel {
>         image = @KERNEL@
>         offset=4096k
>         size = 4M
>         partition-type = 0x83
>     }

Locate at offset 4M a visible partition and write the kernel image into it (the
partition ID is confusing here, because the kernel image is not a filesystem)

>     partition rootfs {
>         image = @ROOTFS@
>         size = 256M
>         partition-type = 0x83
>     }

Locate behind the first visible partition a second visible partition and write
the root filesystem into it (this time the partition ID makes sense)

>     partition spare {
>         size = 256M
>         partition-type = 0x83
>     }
>     size=1024M
> }

Locate behind the second visible partition a third visible (but empty)
partition.

Happy hacking
Juergen

--
Pengutronix e.K.                              | Juergen Borleis             |
Industrial Linux Solutions                    | http://www.pengutronix.de/  |