Hi Robert,

This august, Martin Prosicky posted a patch to work around a
longstanding bug in osgText::Text using the SCREEN_COORDS mode. I came
across this bug and noticed your discussion
(http://lists.openscenegraph.org/pipermail/osg-users-openscenegraph.org/2007-August/001607.html).
I applied Martin's patch and my aspect ratio bug went away. I am using
the SVN version of the OSG.

Is it that you did not want to apply the patch, not to risk breaking
existing applications ? Or that you did not want to merge the file
with it's not so pretty #ifdef
COMPILE_MartinProsicky_text_aspect_ratio_code macro ?

However, if you don't have the time to dig into that issue, I propose
the following: I can patch osgText::Text so that it has another member
in the CharacterSizeMode and so that users can choose whether they
want the old or new way to compute SCREEN_COORDS. We could rename the
existing code so that SCREEN_COORDS becomes SCREEN_COORDS_LEGACY (or
something like that) and that Martin's code becomes the new
SCREEN_COORDS.

This way, people seeing problems with an SVN update could easily roll
back to the previous size computation algorithm, while if everything
goes seamlessly (which was the case for me), the change could go
unnoticed and the SCREEN_COORDS_LEGACY thing could be removed.

Of course I am open to any other workaround you might suggest. Any thoughts ?

Regards

Thibault