On Jan 27, 2008 12:26 PM, Serge Lages <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hum... To come back to the subject, here is my advice on how to optimize
> paged terrains rendering. :)
>
> - First open to the DatabasePager.cpp file and take a look at all the env
> variables available.
> - Now play with them. :) If you have a single core CPU with an ATI card, set
> an high priority for the database thread. With a multi core CPU you can set
> it to the minimum priority.
>  - If you have an ATI card, use VertexArrays instead of displaylists or VBO.

DatabasePager already selects VertexArrays instead of displays under
Apple so one might try the opposite and manually select display lists.

> Now if it's the rendering part the longer, it's maybe a PagedLOD
> configuration problem, like setting them on PIXEL_SIZE_ON_SCREEN instead of
> DISTANCE_FROM_EYE_POINT mode. I really don't know how VTB (or osgdem) set
> them. Maybe the best way to play with there configuration is to set a
> ReadNode callback and try to modify the settings when they are loaded.

Previous response was the draw traversal that was the problem.   One
needs figure out why its so large, whether its the database and/or
machine, I don't think playing the LOD computation will help on this,
at best one will just need to radius the Viewer's Camera's LODScale to
load the graphics less.

However, osgdem doesn't normally generated databases that should
totally fell a modern machine even a laptop.  One needs to try the
database out on other machines to find out if its just this machine.