Hi Sherman,

I haven't noticed particular problems with NPOT textures once
rendering is underway, but the initial generation of the mipmaps was a
bottleneck on XP/Nvidia driver was recently found to be very very slow
(like 500ms+ instead of the normal 5-50ms for this type of op).  The
fix submitted for this was to use the relatively new generate mipmap
extension, rather than rely on the older generate mip hardware
extension, this fixed the performance.  This fix is now in SVN, and
will be part of the 2.5.3 release that I'm planning for tomorrow.

Robert.