HI James,

You don't have to do anything special to use the DatabasePager in
osgViewer, just load a dataset with PagedLOD nodes in it and it'll
automatically start paging.  There isn't any examples that just
demonstrate the database pager use as there really isn't any you need
to do, the hard part is the database preparation.

There won't be shouldn't be performance delta between using SceneView
+ DatabasePager vs osgViewer, in fact the later if anything should be
faster is it has better threading support.

I am not familiar with OssimPlanet so can't guess at what might be up.
 Could it be as simple as you have compiled your own OSG version with
debug but run a release version of an OssimPlanet demo?

Robert.