2008/11/7 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Thanks Simon,
>
> A CSG library would be a great idea to work on.  I needed one of those for
> some work I did with Northrop Grumman.  The generalized extrusion function is
> cool too, maybe for a single student or as a feature of the CSG library.  I
> didn't look too deeply, but does the gts library work with OSG?
>
> -- Rick

Err, I don't think so.

I only did a really quick look (read: google search) to see if there
was a suitable library
for my particular needs that would feed OSG, but drew a blank.

Taking the output of GTS and feeding that into OSG is probably trivial,
but I think writing the mesh generators that input to GTS in a nice way,
with good LOD support and decent documentation would be a fair amount of work.

I'm working on a CAD related library for work purposes which has an end
of year deadline, so I can't afford to get bogged down with an immature project.

For my needs I'm just going to write the small sub set of generators
(e.g. cylinder, box, polyline/contour extruder) I need that output
directly into OSG even though
I'm just going to be duplicating stuff that's almost certainly been
done many times before.

>From a style point of few, I'd like to see a CSG library that emulates boost,
more than OSG. OSG needs to support a more restricted compiler environment than
boost aims for; as such it has to avoid the special template tricks
that boost makes
extensive use of.

Mind you a proper boost style template library is probably far beyond
most students.

>From your other email:
> Like I mentioned, I would really like to start off with OpenGL and then show
> how OSG helps.

Thinking back on my computing related education I think if I wanted to teach
computer graphics myself I would do it the other way round to you.

I would start off by playing TF2 for half an hour with them and
then firing up the source:sdk  and Hammer and showing them the level
design and the
model editors.

Then go back from that to show how OSG can make those things
happen and then tag on a bit of the lower level OpenGL stuff right at the end.

For the really bright students it doesn't matter which way round you do it,
but for the less interested boring them to death with low level details isn't
going to help them. :)

Good luck with the course.

--
The truth is out there. Usually in header files.