Hi Art,

I understand the issues you talk about.  External NodeKit can be
neglected by potential users because they aren't visible enough, and
there are also issue of compatibility and maintenance of these
external NodeKits.  It's not just an issue of NodeKits, it applies to
plugins or applications that live around the core OSG project.  I
don't think the solution need be a pure software management issue,
it's strongly related to management of website resources.

We've had various different initiatives over the years to try and
address this issue - the wiki is one avenue, another was the formation
of osgforge.org and hosting of several ancilery projects like VPB,
Present3D, osgLua and osgPython.  My hope was osgforge would become a
incubator for projects that could make it into the core, or become
part of the close nit family of NodeKits.  Such initiatives haven't
thrived as perhaps they could have, partly because the various
contributors haven't pushed things forward, and partly that
wiki/website management takes time and dedicated manpower. I'm open to
suggestions on how better to streamline and manage this side of
things.  The bottom line is a key missing ingredient has been
engineers who put the time into keep websites up to date.

As for re-factoring handling of NodeKits in 3.0, I'm open to this.  It
might even make the most sense to build 3.0 incrementally, starting
with a re-factored core scene graph and then bit by bit re-introduce
the NodeKits as they get ported across.  Quite a few of the older
NodeKits would be best rewritten using shaders, or to be incorporated
into other NodeKits.  Having some scheme where 3rd party NodeKits can
be pulled in by end users may well help facilitate a move over to a
3.0.

One thing I have thought about in the past of have an "Open Graphics
Suite" that is collection of related libraries/applications, with a
scene graph one element of the suite, then you'd have extra libraries,
exporters, applications all populate this suite.  The suite would
contain optional components that could be selected from to provide the
tools required for different apps.  Modern linux packaging
repositories provide this model and the scale of 10's of thousands of
compatible libraries and applications.

Robert.