Hi Brian,

I'm afraid VirtualPlanetBuilder is based around processing heightfiels +
imagery, not irregular polygonal meshes so won't be of any help.

The osgUtil::Simplifier might be able to help though, although you'll
probably need to break up the model into chunks first.  One thing it would
be worth doing is when loading you models is to disable the tri-stripping of
the models.

Robert.