A couple of other questions related to intersection performance:

1) The current KdTree implementation is just for sorting triangle geometry at node leaves. Perhaps it would be useful to to have a KdTree organize the scene graph nodes themselves, based on bounding volumes? Or are bounding volume tests generally good enough (and it's up to the user to be clever about organizing the scene graph?)

2) I need to do line-of-sight tests where I am only interested in whether any intersection exists, and not what those intersections are. This allows for a "trap door" optimization where the search process terminates on the first positive intersection. Is there a way to do that with the current osgUtil::IntersectionVisitor, or do I need to modify it to serve this purpose?

Thanks,
Peter