Followup:

  After some brain-twisting, I did realize that even with z comparison off, OGL
is
probably rejecting the skydome because it's beyond the far clip plane. I've
been trying to
think of a way to fool this, but it seems like it is unavoidable.

  I wonder if there were somehow a callback you could apply somewhere that
would hork with
the near/far clip, or if it's just easier to use multiple cameras at that point.