Are you setting this StateSet on the parent Group or Geode above all your Text? If so, it should work. If it's not working, then this should be investigated and resolved. I'd advise creating a very simple scene graph that appears to reproduce the behavior, and stepping through the CullVisitor to find out why it is changing RenderBins even though a parent scene graph has set the override bit.

(For more information on RenderBins in general, search the mail list. I almost hate to advise this, as the info is scattered all over the place, and you'll need to do a lot of digging and reading. But it has been discussed multiple times in the past, and I don't have the cycles to regurgitate the salient info at the moment.)

Paul Martz
Skew Matrix Software LLC
_http://www.skew-matrix.com_ <http://www.skew-matrix.com/>
+1 303 859 9466

stefan nortd wrote:
Thanks Paul, Jeremy,

So after some contemplation I am pretty sure I want to use the painter's layering. The reason is that if for example I want to rotate a panel in front of another one I don't want it to intersect with panals behind it. I could use orthographic projection and dynamically change the z distances based on bounding box but this just seems overkill if I could just disable depth testing. I just want it 2.5D--looking 3D but layering 2D.
So I tried forcing the osgText in a the opaque render bin with the following
 but without much luck.

 mytextstateset->setRenderBinDetails(0, "RenderBin",
osg::StateSet::OVERRIDE_RENDERBIN_DETAILS);

Is there something else I need to do other than that? If I understand correctly there are two default bins--"RenderBin" and "DepthSortedBin". Former is sorted based on the binNum, latter based on the depth.

I guess what I don't understand is how does the binNum realate to the other items in the default bin. I know they are rendered in the order they are added to the scene. How to they relate to the binNum? Still a bit confused. Will read some more of the osg source code but let me know if you guy know what I am doing wrong.

Thank you!

Cheers,
stefan

stefan hechenberger