Hi,

For anyone who is still following this thread (or for anyone who stumbles upon
it while trying to solve a similar problem in the future), I figured I'd post
my findings:

The bit about the object reference pointers vs. standard C++ pointers turned
out to be a red herring. Seems the crashes resulted from my method of updating
2D text in the scene. I was just calling "->settext("blah")" from the main loop
whenever I wanted to change the displayed characters. The crashes went away
when I implemented a callback function to update the text. Here's an example of
my text update callback function:

Code:

struct TextUpdateCallback : public osg::Drawable::UpdateCallback
{
  virtual void update(osg::NodeVisitor* nv, osg::Drawable* drawable)
  {
    osgText::Text * TextPointer = dynamic_cast<osgText::Text*>(drawable) ;

    if ( TextPointer )
    {
      TextPointer->setText(NewText) ;
      TextPointer->setColor(NewColour) ;