From: osg-users-boun...@lists.openscenegraph.org
[mailto:osg-users-boun...@lists.openscenegraph.org] On Behalf Of Tueller,
Shayne R Civ USAF AFMC 519 SMXS/MXDEC
Sent: Wednesday, 28 July 2010 2:26 AM
To: OpenSceneGraph Users
Subject: Re: [osg-users] osgSim HeightAboveTerrain performance...

Since I didn't receive any input or feedback on my previous inquiry, I'm
assuming no one has used osgSim very much in an extensive setting.?.?

At any rate, I've done some further investigation. It appears that performance
is very poor when HAT inquiries are randomly called in different portions of
the code via the
osgSim::HeightAboveTerrain::computeHeightAboveTerrain(.) method. On the other
hand, if HAT points via hat.addPoint() are collected up and then computed
(intersections) in one place, performance improves. I'm assuming that this is
the correct usage for OSG? If this is true, I must say that this is a major
problem since HAT inquiries need to be done at different times throughout the
application due to dependencies on HAT for other calculations.

I would like some feedback from someone in the know on osgSim so I know what
the proper usage is for maximum performance. If it is true that all HAT points
in OSG need to be consolidated for intersection calculation, then I will
attempt to refactor the code to support what OSG wants.

Thanks,
-Shayne