On 02/16/2011 10:44 AM, Eric Sokolowsky wrote:
Hello,

Does anyone have suggestions on getting the textured version brighter, hopefully as bright as the DrawPixels version?

The textured version is probably getting dimmer because of the linear magnification filter. Since your background is black, any pixels in the image that are partially covering a pixel on the screen are getting mixed with the black background and the overall luminance is lessened because of that. The DrawPixels version is obviously blocky because you're drawing without any kind of magnification filter. If you switched the mag filter settings on the texture version to GL_NEAREST instead of GL_LINEAR, I imagine your results will look very much like the DrawPixels version.

Of course, the real problems is that you're rendering the given image to a resolution that is significantly larger than its actual size. Ideally, you'd want to enlarge the original image to as close to the target resolution as you can before using the texturing operations to draw it to the screen. I don't know the source of the image, so I don't know if it's possible or practical to do this, but that would be the best solution.

--"J"