Hi Robert,

I wanted to have a brief feedback on osg for the UNIX dinosaurs.
The beginnings of this thoughts were triggered by the 'Testing a workaround
for fullscreen toggling issues under modern X11 window managers' thread.

On Monday 20 June 2011, Robert Osfield wrote:
> 2011/6/20 Mathias Fröhlich <m.froehl...@science-computing.de>:
> > Ok, our last IRIX machine is dead since one or two years.
>
> It's over a decade since I used an IRIX system so apart from fond memories
> of a bigone era I don't think we need to worry about IRIX.  I do suspect if
> one did resurrect an IRIX it wouldn't too difficult to get the OSG working
> on it.
Well, I had thought of even removing the leftovers from irix.
Especially sprocs is probably untested since some years.
Anyway, IRIX *is* dead.
And the next one to die is HP-UX.

Solaris and AIX will stay out there for some time - even if they both do not
sell graphics machines anymore - at least none I know of.

Appart from that I had the impression that we (s+c) are the last ones who made
use of osg on the dinosaurs.
Our last UNIX version was shipped for solaris at least one year ago. Keeping
osg alive on those machines is getting more and more pointless.

So, I thought that we will have a 3.0 release that still builds and runs on my
HP and Solaris machine. And may be I will care for the 3.0 maintanance series
as well. At least as long as I have access to any dinosaur that is still
running.

But starting with that next development phase, I will stop HP-UX support also.

For solaris this is an open question.
My expectations are that solaris will not die as a platform for a long time.
But its importance for 3D Graphics is very little today.

Also the sun studio compiler does not support all of the stl methods. We have
so many more compile problems with solaris due to missing member template
functions in the stl implementation than we had with HP.
So given that, I am very tempted to just drop solaris too.

What do your think?

Greetings

Mathias

--
Dr. Mathias Fröhlich, science + computing ag, Software Solutions
Hagellocher Weg 71-75, D-72070 Tuebingen, Germany