From: osg-users-boun...@lists.openscenegraph.org
[mailto:osg-users-boun...@lists.openscenegraph.org] On Behalf Of Paul
Martz
Sent: Friday, August 12, 2011 1:50 PM
To: osg-users@lists.openscenegraph.org
Subject: Re: [osg-users] dimension oh a model

On 8/12/2011 11:11 AM, Sanat Talmaki wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> Sorry for my late reply to your post. That is a very good point you
bring up about the units of different objects in a scene. When one uses
data from USGS in VPB to create a terrain, the rest of the objects have
to be scaled up or down to represent their real world size prior to be
being used in the scene.......

> But the confusion for me arises when say I load a truck in osg and its
dimensions are (12, 6, 8) = (L,W,H). (don't know what units these are
in)
> Without knowing the units of the model (whether 12 feet/meters), how
does one apply a scaling factor?
As I said in my previous post, if you don't have access to any metadata
that
tells you what the units are, there's no way for your software to handle
this in
an automated way. You must either manually scale the model to fit your
application coordinate system, or you must manually create some
metadata. In the
case you cite, both options would be based entirely on guesswork.
    -Paul