Ulrich,

You appear to be correct.  As it turns out, in the process of debugging the
issue and discovering the flush() function, I also add some "redraw" calls.  In
my new code, I can turn off the flush()'s and I'm fine, but I can't turn off
the redraw.

I did check the refCounts were 0 when I was debugging this.  Unfortunately I
don't have the debug code around to see why I was getting 0's when I didn't
expect them.  In any event, in light of this new behavior it does seem likely
that my error was not giving the draw thread a chance to remove the old objects.

Thanks all!