Hello Maia,

One solution would be to place everything in a modeler and export as a whole
but we need to interact  (i.e. pick) with some objects on the shelves.

This is the best option I think. The simplest solution is to create the shelves and objects in a modeling program, name the objects appropriately, and then in your OSG program write a simple NodeVisitor that will give you pointers to each object you want by traversing the loaded scene and checking the object names. Then you can selectlvely make objects interactive, enabling you to move the objects your user will be picking for example.

Hope this helps,

J-S