Hi Robert-

I agree the osgDB::readRef*File() functions are safe. I was only noting that
the osgDB::readRef*File() functions that return raw pointers are used in more
than just Input.cpp and the deprecated wrappers as you'd mentioned.

As for whether using the take methods invalidate the reference count, I think
we're arguing semantics. I do not consider a reference counted object to be
properly reference counted if there are raw pointers to it being kept and used
(performance critical situations excepted).

I'm looking forward to a less intrusive tweak, that'd be great.

Thanks for the responses!

Baker