Hi Maia,

If you're on Windows I've been using the pre-built GDAL binaries at
http://www.gisinternals.com/sdk/ rather than building GDAL myself.  I use
GDAL 1.9 personally but osgEarth should work fine with later versions.

GDAL is pretty easy to build but when you start needing extra dependencies
it can be a little bit of a pain tracking everything down so I like those
pre-built ones.

Jason