Hi Andreas,

I suspect just letting the OSG do it's thing with be just fine, and it's
simply the amount of memory on the GPU that these textures take is
fundamental problem you need to address.

Try texture compression on the textures, or try a small pixel format.

The other approach would be to tile that data up so you have a set of
smaller textures each applied to it's own Geode.

Robert.