To load data through the GDAL plugin, simply append a .gdal file extension
to the file name
(even though on disk it does not have the .gdal extension)

I use this method to load ESRI GRID ASCII format height fields into our
application, then using
this data to generate a TerrainTile for an osg::Terrain.

Christian