I'm not sure which field you're really asking about, but you should be
looking at the PagedLOD and LOD classes, and their LOD ranges. There are
some class flags there that indicate how to interpret the LOD ranges.

I wrote some whitepapers on LOD and VPB/PagedLOD. You should probably read
them:

http://alphapixel.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/LOD-Level-of-detail-in-OpenSceneGraph-OSG.pdf

http://alphapixel.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/OpenSceneGraph-OSG-Virtual-Planet-Builder-VPB-OSGDEM.pdf