The explanation and code snippet doesn't tell us enough of what is going on
in your app to be able to guess what might be wrong.

The best thing I can do at this point is flag up a couple of issues in the
code that could be improved, or flag up stuff that seems odd.

First up a memory leak:

      osg::Group* model = dynamic_cast<osg::Group*>(osgDB::readNodeFile(
fileName, dbOptions));

       if (model != nullptr)

       {...

This code will only assign the loaded object the m_Root if the loaded model
root node is a Group, if isn't then it'll just be leaked, never to be
deleted.

The best way to do a read to a particular type in robust way is to use
ref_ptr<> and the readFile<T>(..) method i.e.

     auto model = osgDB::readRefFile<osg::Group>(fileName, dbOptions));  //
return a ref_ptr<osg::Group> that internally uses an
dynamic_cast<osg::Group*>

The next odditiyr is that you have a CleanupModel method that removes the
whole Viewer, but you call it a View:

void OpenSceneGraphBitmap::CleanupModel()

{

       RemoveViews();

}

This seems like your application is conflating various different features
together, which is a red flag by itself and makes me wonder if you have
mis-understood the intent of the various osgViewer class available.

The new bit of related code is another sign of misuse of the how the OSG is
intended to be used:

void OpenSceneGraphBitmap::RemoveViews()

{

       if (m_nhiCompositeViewer != nullptr)

       {

              m_nhiCompositeViewer->setDone(true);

              delete m_nhiCompositeViewer;

              m_nhiCompositeViewer = nullptr;

       }

The OSG has built in robust reference counting, it is almost never
appropriate to directly delete a object, not in the scene graph, not in the
viewer, not a whole viewer.  I suspect your application at a higher level
is not ideally organized so the following suggestion might just gloss over
wider problems, any I say it here as understanding ref_ptr<> usage is
important regardless...

So your m_nhiCompositeViewer pointer should *always* be a ref_ptr<> and
*never* a straight C pointer.  If you want to delete a viewer you just set
the ref_ptr<> to nullptr and it'll be automatically deleted for you if no
other references exist t it.  The above method could safely be replaced
with a single line : m_nhiCompositeViewer = nullptr;

However, this doesn't fix the other problems in the code, it'd just fix a
bad practice.

Next problem will need to look at is back to the
OpenSceneGraphBitmap::CleanupModel()
method:

void OpenSceneGraphBitmap::CleanupModel()

{

       RemoveViews();

       if (m_Root != nullptr)     // if root already exists (already loaded
previous scene) remove children to clean up

       {

              m_Root->releaseGLObjects();

              m_Root->removeChildren(0, m_Root->getNumChildren());

              void* ptr = m_Root.release();

              delete ptr;

              m_Root = nullptr;

       }

}

Here you call RemoveViews() which will delete the Viewer and all graphics
contexts associated with it.  The you try and do some manual clean up:

       if (m_Root != nullptr)     // if root already exists (already loaded
previous scene) remove children to clean up

       {

              m_Root->releaseGLObjects();

              m_Root->removeChildren(0, m_Root->getNumChildren());

This suggest to me that you are keeping m_Root around as some form of
global container and then trying to manage it's contents.  The code
snippets don't say how the node and it's children.  Deleting a Viewer will
delete all it's GraphicsContext and clean up all the scene graphs that are
directly attached to it, but it you have scene graph elements that are
detached from the scene graph then it can't clean up these.  If these
detached elements contain GL objects will have already been deleted by the
graphics context deletion, so the handles are orphaned but the OSG itself
doesn't know about it, and calling releaseGLObjects() will release the
handles into containers that the OSG uses to schedule deletion or reuse of
the GL objects.  If the graphics contexts already deleted then you have to
discard any GL handles via calling discardGLObjects() rather than
releaseGLObjects().

The osgViewer and scene graph are design to do all the automatic clean up
and management of GL objects behind the scenes for you, for most
applications there should never be a need to explicitly call
releaseGLObjects();  The OSG can't track what you detach from viewers and
then manipulate, in these cases you really need to think whether what you
are doing is necessary and sensible.  My strong recommendation is that
users avoid doing this.

Finally we have another instance of manually an object:

              void* ptr = m_Root.release();

              delete ptr;

              m_Root = nullptr;

The code tells me that m_Root is likely a ref_ptr<Group> which rather than
just do the sensible thing and call m_Root = nullptr and let the smart
pointer do it's job in clean up you release the pointer and then manually
delete it.

It's painful to see such a combination a misuse of the OSG.  I don't know
where you have picked up this coding style, but it's never been part of the
OSG usage, none of the OSG examples, none of books, never in it's near 20
year history has abusing ref_ptr<> in this way been advocated.

I don't know the history of your application, it could be that you've
inherited bad code and have been thrown in the deepened trying to learn and
fix stuff at the same time.  From this point, I am pretty sure that the
regression you see in going from 3.6.0 to 3.6.4 is likely to mis-use of the
OSG in your application code that make it's so fragile and dependent on
accidental behaviors to function.  Fixing bugs on the OSG then can easily
break your application as it was relying on buggy behavior.

>From the little snippets I've picked up a number of problems, fixing these
might work around the problems, but my guess is that there are major
problem throughout the code.  The good news is that if you learn to use the
OSG a bit more appropriately your codebase will become smaller, cleaner,
easier to maintain, more robust, more fun to work with.

Spending a bit of time learning about how smart pointers work and how to
use them will really help you.  You have accesses to the full OSG source
code so if you aren't sure about something just have a look at the code,
put break points into the code, see what happens when smart pointers do
there thing.  Have a look through the examples, discussions online, have a
look at the OSG books.  This investment in learning more about the how
thing work will make you much more productive.

Best of luck,

Robert.

}