How are the symbols represented in the scene graph and on screen?  How many
different types of symbols do you have?

What are the dynamic aspects to the simulated objects, as you mention
AnimationPathCallback I presume you are animating a transform.  Is this
just xyz translations?

I don't yet understand enough about the specific usage case but in
principle I'd suggest looking at geometry instancing as a possible
technique for leveraging the GPU more and minimizing the CPU overhead.  It
may be possible to just position your objects using an osg::UniformArray
and an appropriate shader to unpack this and create the required modelview
matrix to position/colour each instance of a symbol.