Hi Johanna, A possibly easier way to connect to IRC on Windows is through the browser. Go to https://webchat.freenode.net/ add a name and set the channel to osgeolive Seth
-- web:http://geographika.co.uk twitter: @geographika On Tue, Nov 27, 2018, at 9:59 AM, Johanna Botman wrote: > Thanks Cameron, > > The new scripts worked and I am ‘in’. > > Hexchat is another matter altogether and the process for > authenticating is … well, opaque to say the least.> > I will persevere. I have come this far … what’s a few more grey hairs?> > > > *Johanna* > * * > * * > * * > * * > > *From:* Cameron Shorter <[email protected]> *Sent:* Tuesday, > 27 November 2018 7:57 AM *To:* Johanna Botman <[email protected]>; > [email protected] *Subject:* Re: [OSGeoLive] Instructions to > Build Steps to start documentation> > Hi Johanna, > I'm guessing you are following our build step at: > https://github.com/OSGeo/OSGeoLive-doc> I'm pretty sure the error you are > describing is due to the fact that > you are trying to install packages as a normal user instead of as a > "super-user" (often called "root") which has privileges to do > anything.> We switch ourselves to super-user mode by pre-inserting "sudo" in > front of the command. I notice from my personal log that I've done > that before. I can't remember why I added the "-H", but I'm assuming > the following should work for you:> sudo -H pip install sphinx==1.6.5 > sudo -H pip install sphinx-intl > sudo -H pip install sphinxjp.themes.revealjs > Note: You might be asked for username and/or password. On OSGeo live, > this will be username=user, password=user.> I encourage you also to log > into our IRC chat channel. You can use > "Hexchat" on windows. The server is freenode.net, channel=osgeolive> > cvvergara (Vicky) is our docs expert and is very helpful. She is based > in Mexico, so around in the morning Australia time.> You will find the others > in the channel will likely be able and happy > to help out too.> Good luck, Cameron > On 26/11/18 6:01 pm, Johanna Botman wrote: >> Hi, >> >> Me again. I’m a rusted on Windows user and I am struggling with the >> command line in the Virtual Box>> >> I am trying to follow the instructions to set up reST. >> On the second command (pip install sphinx==1.6.5) I get a message >> that says that says >> >> Could not install packages due to an EnvironmentError: [Errno 13] >> Permission denied: >> '/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/sphinxcontrib_websupport- >> 1.1.0-py3.5-nspkg.pth' Consider using the `--user` option or check >> the permissions. >> >> If I try to keep going, none of the following commands work and I get >> a similar message. >> >> Where do I set the permissions for the folder?>> >> >> >> >> *Johanna* >> * * >> * * >> * * >> * * >> >> >> _______________________________________________ >> osgeolive mailing list [email protected] >> https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/osgeolive > -- > Cameron Shorter Technology Demystifier Open Technologies and > Geospatial Consultant > > M +61 (0) 419 142 254> _________________________________________________ > osgeolive mailing list > [email protected] > https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/osgeolive
_______________________________________________ osgeolive mailing list [email protected] https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/osgeolive
