From:   Mike Wilson <mike...@hotmail.com>
To:     "'OSGi Developer Mail List'" <osgi-dev@mail.osgi.org>
Date:   2014/09/30 17:13
Subject:        Re: [osgi-dev] cleanup when factory bundles are updated
Sent by:        osgi-dev-boun...@mail.osgi.org

Thanks BJ,

Potentially we would have a fair amount of factory services, created by
different people, that all would need to do this. Do you see any parts of
this logic that could be extracted into a reusable entity to aid
developers doing the right thing?

Interesting suggestion with prototype scope services as factories. It will
be some time before we are on an R6 implementation, and we would have to
rethink our patterns a little to remove creation arguments and add
explicit cleanup, but I will definitely keep it in mind for the future. It
is nice to see the OSGi framework allowing us manage objects in more
flexible ways.

Best regards
Mike

BJ Hargrave wrote:
If the factory is a service, then bundle's using the service to create
objects will need to track the service and destroy/discard all old objects
when the service is unregistered. So if the factory service provider
bundle is restarted, no other bundles need to restart, they just need to
track the factory service.

You could also look at prototype scope services introduced in Core R6 as
an alternative to factories (unless you need to parameterize the object
creation).
--

BJ Hargrave
Senior Technical Staff Member, IBM