On 22.11.2016 21:19, Balázs Zsoldos wrote:

The focus is not on webconsole here or on any tools. Webconsole uses the current API and this is true for everything else that creates configuration at the moment. The other thing I wanted to highlight here: It is much more comfortable to create configuration with a running OSGi container. We can visualize that we do directly. We see if we made something wrong, we can have buttons to wire two configurations together and avoid "CopyPasteException"s. We have the metatype info and we can enter configuration in a typesafe way with validation.

On the other hand, writing configurations in files by hand and than deploy them (e.g.: with fileinstall) feels a bit like programming with notepad. It can be done, but painful after we have felt the benefit of using an IDE.
In my opinion there are benefits to both ways. Changing configs online can be very comfortable with good tooling. On the other hand there are also systems where you want no online config changes (like http://martinfowler.com/bliki/ImmutableServer.html). Btw. this pattern works very nicely with the style you describe where config is stored in a special source control.

In this case the deployment needs to procure complete configs. Editing these configs will always happen offline. We still should be able to provide good IDE support for these configs too. As meta type information is normally provided in a static way it should be possible to have IDE support without starting the actual OSGi framework of the user application.
The new functions do not break compatibility. They create a more flexible way of creating factory configurations as finally it is said that we can trust the programmers as much that they can create unique keys within the scope of an application :). However, there will be two kind of factory configurations from now on. The old and limited one and the new one that is applicable in more use-cases (one of them can be distributed, but the other one not). Are you sure we want to have this distinction? It would be better to have one kind of factory configuration with more flexibility than now.
I think the main issue here is compatibility. Do you think it would be possible to have the new factory config style only while being compatible to old code?

Christian

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de