I was not suggesting to use karaf. But looking into the karaf features can help with the setup for bndtools. For eclipse paho you just need to download this one bundle and put it into your index but paho does not give you a broker it is only the client.

For mqtt I typically use the mosquitto broker. It is written in C and very small. So it runs very well on small hardware. Most linux distros already provide a package for it.

Christian