Thank you Felix, I agree and understand all of what you are saying.

However, what I'm wondering though is if anyone has come up with a design
pattern where a DS component can determine programmatically whether it (or
a peer component it controls) should be provided as a service based on the
check for some optional package.

Sincerely,
- Ray

 (@rotty3000)