Let me see if I can take a crack at it! Though I'm often told I also don't
understand when I try to explain it. :D

Suppose you have an API like so:

interface DataHandler {
     void processData(DataContext context);
}

This API has 2 interfaces `DataHandler` and `DataContext`

Now you happen to know there is a library data.machine-1.2.3.jar which is a
data processing engine and to use it all you need to do is publish an OSGi
service of type `DataHandler` and it will do some magic.

Since you implement `DataHandler` this interface is sensitive to you as a
consumer. If the API were to add a method if would break your code. In this
case DataHandler is effectively @ConsumerType. It is a type which is
implemented in order to _use_ the API.

Now, DataContext is not so sensitive for you in this scenario because you
only _recieve_ instances of it. You never have to implement it in your
_use_ of the API. In this case DataContext is @ProviderType since it's an
interface which only _providers_ implement. Therefore if a new method was
added to it, it would _not_ break your code, it _would_ however force the
implementers of data.machine-1.2.3.jar to make a new release since they are
a _provider_ of the API.

So you see, both interfaces are part of the same API, yet one is
@ConsumerType (DataHandler) and the other is @ProviderType (DataContext).

I hope that helps. Others feel free to correct my understanding and
hopefully, I'll finally grok it myself.
- Ray

 (@rotty3000)
 (@Liferay)