04/01/2005

Rebels, not criminals

Approach this disaffected community in a spirit of conciliation

I have gone through the gist of talks between the government of
Andhra Pradesh and the Naxalite groups in the state. The two sides
were proceeding well and the ceasefire was holding firm. There was no
police encounter, nor any action by the naxalites. The Communist
Party of India (Marxist-Leninist), which had merged with the People’s
War Group (PWG) to form CPI (Maoist), had made a unilateral offer for
a ceasefire to create “conducive atmosphere” for talks.

The government had agreed to the ceasefire for six months. Why it
chose not to extend the period despite the request by the CPI
(Maoist) is something beyond me. It is probably the suspicion that
radical groups use the truce to consolidate themselves. Even if they
do, how far can they go? The state is so powerful that it can always
catch up with their puny efforts. The important thing is to end
hostilities. The ceasefire should have been extended because the
talks provided an opportunity to make the Naxalite groups join the
mainstream politics. The Committee of Concerned Citizens, which had
arranged the talks, has blamed the state for the breakdown. The
Committee believe that the government did not restraint itself from
continuing with the policy of encounter killings.

The Andhra Pradesh parleys have thrown up many questions. The
important one is how far is the government willing to go to retrieve
those who have picked up the gun for having found the system callous
and inadequate. The state has not addressed this problem. Its
response has been repression and even physical liquidation of the
Naxalite cadre. True, the Naxalites are equally brutal, indulging in
indiscriminate killings and extermination of individuals. On the one
hand, the state shows little respect for law and life. On the other,
the Naxalites practise ruthless violence regardless of the
exasperation and suffering of ordinary people. How do the two sides
square up to their objective?

I was still a member of the home ministry’s parliamentary committee
when the question of Naxalites came before it. There was great
denunciation of their violence. Yet, when it came to recommendations,
the committee wanted the government to have “a serious dialogue” with
the Naxalites. That was four years ago. I have seen pious statements
on the issue once in a while but nothing beyond that. Even when there
are talks — as those that took place in Andhra a month ago — the
police dictates the rules. There is no generosity, not even an
attitude of give-and-take. The Naxalites are treated as criminals,
not rebels. The government tends to end peace talks abruptly because
it believes that it can suppress such movements by force. This has
not happened because the Naxalites have been able to muster wide
popular support. They have come to symbolise hope, however fleeting
and however distant.

Seldom has the government gone into the real cause of social unrest
or uprisings. If it were to do so, it would find their roots in
social and economic conditions. Undoubtedly, radical movements are
political in nature because they are motivated by an ideology. What
gives them the following is the discontent which has been mounting
for years. The remedy is not additional security forces or more
repressive laws but the realisation that conciliation can replace
confrontation. Whether it is Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Manipur, Orissa
or Assam, the story is the same: force and repression.

Dissent, difference or even defiance is not a law-and-order problem.
It may be an assertion of right to livelihood and to have democratic
space. People have been living on the periphery for too long. They
still have not abandoned the hope that democracy can take them
towards social and economic change based on constitutional
government. And this hope has encouraged the Naxalites to talk to the
rulers. This has been a futile exercise so far.

I recall that once I, along with a small group from Patna, undertook
a padyatra through nearby Jehanabad to find out what drove the youth
to Naxalism. On the third night, I was woken up by four armed young
men who were Naxalites. They told me how the system had driven them
to take up the gun because it did not give them any openings even
when they had been toppers in their subjects. One of them cynically
remarked that Part IV of the Constitution enjoined on the state the
obligation to bring about social transformation. How long will it
take to translate that promise? I had no answer. Even today I have
none.

All that I can say is that the crisis of Indian politics today is a
crisis of the system. It reflects a widening gap between the base of
the polity and its structure. Yet, the leaders continue to indulge in
the old game of gaining ascendancy through the politics of
manipulation and power.

Bihar is probably one of the states where power politics is at its
worst. Politicians have lined their pockets with public funds. The
government has no compunction in violating human rights in the name
of quelling the Naxalite movements. Orissa is another state where
corruption may be less in comparison but where the government is
using force to dispossess the Adivasis of their land in order to hand
it over to multinationals. Kashipur, in Orissa, is currently
experiencing the onslaught because the tribals who live around the
mines are sought to be moved out. If the oustees were to join the
Naxalites, it would only strengthen the argument that the system did
not give them any real option.

I am against violence per se. The Naxalites and such other groups,
including militants in Kashmir, would have fared far better if their
battle had been non-violent. Imagine the impact on civil society if
thousands of them, who had indulged in violence, had fought their
battle nonviolently.

Our tragedy is that those who wage a struggle to seek justice are
themselves to blame for the senseless violence they perpetrate. On
the other hand, the government connives with the police in staging
fake encounters to deal with the Naxalites. In this matrix of
violence, society is getting increasingly brutalised and people are
becoming increasingly insensitive to the bloodletting that marks
their lives.

http://iecolumnists.expressindia.com/full_column.php?content_id=62016

http://mail.yahoo.com