http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050121/D87O7PDO0.html

FBI  Adds 10 Names to List in Boston Threat
By CURT  ANDERSON

WASHINGTON (AP) - The FBI on Thursday added the names of  nine Chinese people
and one other man to the list of those being sought  for questioning about a
possible terror plot targeting Boston.

FBI  spokesman Joe Parris said the names "were developed as a result of  the
ongoing investigation" but did not signal that credible evidence has  emerged
indicating such a plot actually exists.

"Information is  still uncorroborated and from a source of unknown
reliability and  motive," Parris said.

The names are part of the same anonymous tip  that led authorities on
Wednesday to announce that they are seeking to  question four other Chinese
and two Iraqis. The new names bring to 16 the  people being sought for
questioning.

Another federal law  enforcement official in Washington, speaking condition
of anonymity  because of the ongoing investigation, said the tip was received
by the  California Highway Patrol. The tipster claimed the four Chinese - two
men  and two women - entered the United States from Mexico and were awaiting
a  shipment of "nuclear oxide" that would follow them to Boston.

The  official said the nuclear oxide could be a reference to material used  to
make a "dirty bomb" that would spew radiation over a wide  area.

U.S. Attorney Michael Sullivan of Boston said earlier Thursday  that
authorities had learned more background about the original four  Chinese, but
"it makes us no more alarmed this morning, this afternoon,  than we were
yesterday."

"They're not wanted at this point in time  for any crimes because there's no
evidence at this point in time that  they've committed any crimes," Sullivan
said. "We're not certain exactly  where they are. We can't even say for
certain that they're in the  country."

White House Chief of Staff Andrew Card said he discussed  the manhunt with
President Bush during an Oval Office meeting a few hours  before Bush's
inauguration for a second term. Card did not provide  details on what was
said.

The four Chinese previously named by the  FBI were identified as Zengrong
Lin, Wen Quin Zheng, Xiujin Chen and  Guozhi Lin. Authorities said none of
the names had appeared on previous  watch lists of terror suspects. The
bureau also released pictures of  those four but not of the others being
sought.

One woman was among  the nine new Chinese names added: Yu Xian Weng, a woman
either 40 or 41  years old. The others were all men: Quinquan or Quiquan Lin,
21; Liqiang  Liang, 28; Min Xiu Xie, 27; Xiang or Xing Wei Liu, 22; Mei Xia
Dong, 21;  Xiuming Chen; Cheng Yin Liu; and Zao Yun Wang.

The final name on the  new FBI list was Jose Ernesto Beltran Quinones, of
unknown age or  national origin.

In Boston, there were visible signs of stepped-up  security, including some
underground parking garages searching vehicles  as they entered and pictures
of the Chinese suspects posted inside the  booths where subway tokens are
sold by transit employees.

It was  from Boston's Logan International Airport that two of the planes
involved  in the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks were launched, and tight security
is  something residents dealt with in the midst of the Democratic  National
Convention this past July.

Massachusetts Gov. Mitt  Romney, who skipped President Bush's inauguration to
return to the state  Wednesday night after learning of the threat, sought to
reassure  residents that there was nothing to be alarmed about.

"These kinds of  threats are going to be received from time to time.
Generally we're going  to be able to deal with them in a prompt manner and
dismiss them with  time and evidence," Romney said. "It's our hope that this
turns out to be  an invalid hoax of some kind. ... And yet we take these
things very  seriously."

*
*
Rev. Jim Sutter
Cleveland, Ohio USA
_Rev. Jim's  Place_ (http://hometown.aol.com/revjimsutter/revjim.html)

Take a look at donorschoose.org, an excellent charitable web site for
anyone who cares about public education!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_OLuKD/8WnJAA/cUmLAA/TySplB/TM