HEADLINES IN NEWS CLIPPINGS
01. 'Time inappropriate for holding SAARC summit in Dhaka': says Reza Kibria
02. Dhaka rules out postponement of Saarc summit
03. SAARC summit as planned: Bangladesh

Dak Bangla:
http://dakbangla.blogspot.com/2005/01/bangladesh-saarc-on-schedule-30-jan-3.html
30/01/2005

01. 'Time inappropriate for holding SAARC summit in Dhaka': says Reza Kibria:

 Dhaka, Jan 30 : Castigating what he says the 'government's lying'on
tragic death of Shah AMS Kibria, Reza Kibria, son of the slainformer
finance minister, has said the time was inappropriate to hold the
upcoming SAARC summit hosted by a 'failed government'.

"We feel that at this time it is inappropriate to hold such a summit
meeting, hosted by a failed government led by a group of people who
have lost the moral authority to govern this country," Reza told a
pres conference Sunday referring that his father, during his tenure as
foreign secretary, had written the original position paper for the
SAARC in 1978.

Bangladesh is now prepared to host the 13th summit of the seven-
nation forum, the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation
scheduled for February 6-7 in Dhaka.

"I don't know how the people be benefited from the upcoming summit,
but we think it would hardly bring any progress," he told the
conference, also attended by his mother Asma Kibria and sister Nazli
Kibria, at his Dhanmondi residence.

He his family was saddened and distressed that the tragedy of his
father's assassination was being used by the BNP-Jamaat government to
spread more lies. He denied a press report that prime minister's
request for visiting them did not receive any response.

"We did not know any such request," he said adding that no permission
is required to visit a bereaved family and it is much more important
than any such gesture and a few meaningless phrase would be real
action on the prime minister's part to bring the killer of his father
to justice.

He accused the government and the Speaker of parliament for not
providing with proper treatment after the blast that led death of the
sitting MP Shah AMS Kibria. "It is very sad the Speaker appears to
regard his position as that of the Speaker of the BNP."

Regarding investigation, Raza raised doubt whether the government
would provide genuine probe into his father's killing.

"Any such investigation should be genuinely independent with no
participation by any government agency in its management or
supervision," he added referring to the investigations into past bomb
blasts, in which the investigators failed to make any headway.

He said the killing of his father goes beyond the world of politics.
"No one is safe under this government -and there is real fear in every
house."

Nazli Kibria, the daughter of slain leader, said that she would
continue campaign internationally to bring the perpetrators of her
father's killing to justice. (ANI)

LINK
http://www.newkerala.com/news-daily/news/features.php?action=fullnews&id=67008

30/01/2005

02. Dhaka rules out postponement of Saarc summit

DHAKA â Bangladesh yesterday described as baseless reports in a
section of Indian Press that the 13th summit of the seven-nation South
Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (Saarc) would be postponed
because of Thursday's grenade attacks in Habiganj district in which
five persons including former Finance Minister Shah A.M.S Kibria were
killed.

Zahirul Haque, Foreign Ministry spokesman, said, "Bangladesh has
finalised all preparations to hold the summit and there is no threat
nor do we apprehend any such thing during next month's Saarc summit in
Dhaka."

"We didn't receive any threat, nor do we apprehend any such thing,"
the Director-General of the External Publicity Wing, said. He said
special security arrangements were being taken to ensure foolproof
security for the Saarc leaders who will be attending the 13th summit
in Dhaka.

Meanwhile, sources said an advance team from India is now in the
capital to see the security and other arrangements for the summit.
Similar teams had come from other SAARC countries before the
postponement of the summit due to Tsunami catastrophe. Seven
bulletproof cars have been kept ready for the South Asian leaders.

Three new bulletproof cars have joined the VVIP vehicles. India will
bring its own bulletproof car for Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh.

LINK
http://khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticle.asp?xfile=data/subcontinent/2005/January/subcontinent_January930.xml&section=subcontinent&col=

30/01/2005

03. SAARC summit as planned: Bangladesh

DHAKA, January 31 (Online): Bangladesh sought to downplay the
apprehensions in the holding of the 13th SAARC summit here on February
6 to 7.

"We don't think that the present political development would adversely
affect the holding of the SAARC summit,'' Foreign Minister M Morshed
Khan said .

The senior officials from SAARC countries are on their way to Dhaka to
attend the SAARC programming committee meeting on February 1 to 2, the
Minister said.

The country is in the midst of agitations following last Thursday's
blasts in which four people including a former finance minister died.

The statement of the Finance Minister comes in wake of the hostile
political development as the main opposition has enforced a three-day
country-wide strike from today to protest the blasts.

The opposition is pressing for the resignation of the Government and
has threatened to continue the agitation.

LINK
http://www.paktribune.com/news/index.php?id=92097

Take a look at donorschoose.org, an excellent charitable web site for
anyone who cares about public education!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_OLuKD/8WnJAA/cUmLAA/TySplB/TM