http://www.isn.ethz.ch/news/sw/details.cfm?id=10860

British Muslims must face 'reality'

ISN SECURITY WATCH (02/03/05) - Britain's counter-terrorism minister,
Hazel Blears, has said Muslims in the country would have to accept as
a "reality" that they would be more frequently singled out for
document checks and searches than the rest of the public, the Guardian
reported on Wednesday.

Blears said "there was no getting away from [that reality]", given
that recent terrorist threats have come from people "falsely hiding
behind Islam".

Addressing the House of Commons home affairs committee during an
inquiry into the impact of anti-terrorism measures on community
relations, Blears said: "If a threat is from a particular place then
our action is going to be targeted at that area. If that means that
some of our counter-terrorism powers will be disproportionately
experienced by the Muslim community..."

British Muslim groups reacted strongly to Blears' statement.
"She is demonizing and alienating our community," the Guardian quoted
the chairman of the Islamic Human Rights Commission, Massoud
Shadjareh, as saying. "It is a legitimization for a backlash and for
racists to have an onslaught on our community," he said.

"The remarks are thoroughly unhelpful as we've seen a rise in
anti-Muslim sentiment in the UK," the Guardian quoted Muslim community
spokesman Inayat Bunglawala as saying. "It is wholly unacceptable if a
government minister is using her office to scaremonger at the expense
of our community to ease the passage of legislation designed to curb
our civil liberties," he said.

The comments are also unlikely to help the Labour government of Prime
Minister Tony Blair, which is attempting to gain approval for a
controversial anti-terrorism bill that would authorize house arrests
and a ban on internet and telephone use for terror suspects who have
not been charged with any crimes.

Blears' controversial statement also comes at a time when British
Muslim groups are trying to come up with a strategy to maximize the
Islamic vote in British general elections planned for May.
The Labour party has traditionally depended on the Muslim vote, which
Blears' statement could threaten.

Take a look at donorschoose.org, an excellent charitable web site for
anyone who cares about public education!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_OLuKD/8WnJAA/cUmLAA/TySplB/TM