http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-
italycia1jul01,0,5891762.story?track=tothtml

July 1, 2005

Italy Says It Didn't Know of CIA Plan

By Tracy Wilkinson and Greg Miller, Times Staff Writers

ROME — In a case threatening to explode into a diplomatic row, the 
Italian government denied Thursday that it had authorized or even 
known about an operation in which CIA agents allegedly kidnapped a 
radical Egyptian cleric from Milan and flew him to Egypt for 
interrogation and torture.

Italy's denial was at odds with assertions by former CIA officials 
that the agency had obtained the consent of the Italian intelligence 
service before dispatching a CIA paramilitary team to abduct the 
cleric.
Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi on Thursday summoned the 
U.S. ambassador to his palace for an explanation of U.S. actions in 
the 2-year-old incident. 

The case gained attention last week when a judge in Milan issued 
arrest warrants for 13 American intelligence operatives on 
kidnapping charges. According to court documents, they were part of 
a 19-member team under the CIA lead officer in Milan that in 
February 2003 followed and then seized Hassan Osama Nasr, whom 
Italian investigators suspected of heading a terrorist network. 

Italian prosecutors say the agents shoved Nasr, better known as Abu 
Omar, into a minivan and drove him four or five hours to the U.S.-
Italian Aviano Air Base, where he was put aboard a jet and flown to 
Egypt, with a stopover at a U.S. base in Germany. 

After Abu Omar was released in early 2004, he said he had been 
dumped into an Egyptian jail, where he was tortured and beaten 
during the interrogations. He has since disappeared again and is 
reportedly back in an Egyptian prison.

The action by the Milan judiciary marks the first time an ally of 
the United States has attempted to arrest and prosecute American 
spies in connection with what appears to have been an "extraordinary 
rendition," the CIA practice of seizing suspected terrorists and 
transporting them to third countries without judicial permission. 

The lead prosecutor in Milan, Armando Spataro, has said he plans to 
seek extradition of the Americans named in the warrants. Italian 
authorities also asked Interpol for help in arresting the 10 men and 
three women.

Italian law enforcement officials have said they were outraged by 
the abduction because it ruined the case they were building against 
Abu Omar. Five of his associates are now on trial in Milan on 
terrorism charges. Opposition politicians have contended that 
allowing the CIA to conduct an operation of questionable legality 
was a violation of national sovereignty.

Berlusconi had refused to comment on the case until now. On 
Thursday, however, Berlusconi sent a junior member of his Cabinet 
before Parliament to present the government's views. 

Appearing uncomfortable as he spoke, Carlo Giovanardi, the minister 
for parliamentary affairs, used often convoluted language to 
describe the incident. 

It was "not even imaginable," he said, that the kind of CIA commando 
operation described in Milan could have been authorized by Italian 
institutions.

"Our secret services were not aware of the operation," Giovanardi 
said. "It was never brought to the attention of the government or 
national institutions." 

Speaking briefly in Milan later Thursday, Berlusconi confirmed 
Giovanardi's comments but would not elaborate. He said he expected 
to meet with U.S. Ambassador Mel Sembler today.

The comments from Giovanardi and Berlusconi contradict accounts from 
former CIA officials involved in or familiar with the operation to 
abduct Abu Omar. According to the former officials, the CIA's 
station chief in Rome had cleared the mission with his counterpart 
in the Italian intelligence service.

"The notion that it was some sort of rogue operation by the CIA is 
absurd," said a former senior agency official who was briefed on the 
matter before leaving the CIA last year. He added that the Italian 
denials were "to be expected," meaning that ground rules on such an 
operation call for each side to deny involvement if the operation is 
exposed. "Nobody's going to publicly contradict them," the former 
official said.

The CIA declined to comment on the matter Thursday. But ex-agency 
officials offered an expanded account of events leading up to the 
abduction.

A former high-ranking official said that the agency had been aware 
of Abu Omar for some time but that the cleric had not been a high 
priority for officials in its counter-terrorism center until they 
received warnings from the Italian intelligence service about 
possible plots against the U.S. Embassy.

"Back in 2001, they were talking with us about Abu Omar and how they 
wanted to do something with him but didn't think they could at the 
time," the former official said, speaking on condition of 
anonymity. "They were worried he represented a real threat to the 
U.S. Embassy in Rome."

Italian authorities' claims that they were moving toward a possible 
arrest of Abu Omar when he was snatched by CIA operatives are "not 
true," the former official said. "The Italians were interested in 
this guy, but they couldn't do anything about it, because he hadn't 
violated any laws that rose to the level of arresting him."
The case poses an embarrassing dilemma for Berlusconi. If he 
acknowledged authorizing the abduction, he would be admitting to 
having undermined his own security agencies working to prosecute Abu 
Omar. He also would be acknowledging complicity in a practice that 
many human rights organizations contend is illegal.

Saying that neither he nor his government was aware of the operation 
raises a different set of questions. By the prosecutors' account, 
the CIA operatives made little effort to hide their trail. Mounting 
such an operation under the noses of Italian police without being 
detected suggests a serious lapse by Italian security. 
The operatives chatted openly and voluminously on 17 cellphones 
before and during the operation, calling ahead to the air base and 
to their U.S. homes and offices, according to court documents filed 
in connection with the warrants. They presented passports, driver's 
licenses and credit cards at some of Milan's best hotels, where they 
ran up huge tabs, as well as at rental car companies and restaurants.

All have since left the country. The head of the CIA's office in 
Milan, who was well known in the city under his cover as a consular 
officer, retired from the U.S. government but continued to live in a 
villa near Turin, which Italian police raided last week. He was out 
of the country at the time, although his wife was present.

Former CIA officials expressed dismay at the seemingly careless 
behavior attributed to the operatives, but they also argued that it 
supported their contention that the agency was operating with the 
consent of Italian authorities. The operation was allegedly carried 
out by members of the CIA's paramilitary Special Activities Division.

When he disappeared, Abu Omar was under investigation by Italian law 
enforcement officials who suspected him of organizing a network of 
Islamic fighters being dispatched to Iraq. Through wiretaps of Abu 
Omar's office, his mosque and other locations, Italian authorities 
documented his meetings with a string of North Africans, Syrians and 
others, who allegedly discussed suicide bombings and other terrorist 
acts.

Abu Omar was in Italy with the status of political refugee, which 
made his abduction all the more problematic, said Judge Chiara 
Nobili, who ordered the arrests of the CIA operatives.

After his Egyptian jailers released Abu Omar last year, he described 
his abduction and torture in telephone calls to his wife and an 
associate in Milan. His phone was being tapped, providing Italian 
agents with their first complete account of what had happened to the 
imam. 

The Egyptians put Abu Omar back in prison after the phone calls, and 
his whereabouts had been unclear for many months. An associate in 
Milan said this week that Abu Omar remained in prison in Cairo. The 
associate, Abdelhamid Shaari, president of the Islamic Cultural 
Center in Milan, said in an interview that Abu Omar's relatives were 
able to see him periodically and that he bore scars from his torture.

The Italian government's presentation to Parliament on Thursday did 
little to quell protest over the case, especially from leftist 
political parties. Several politicians said they were incensed that 
Berlusconi had not sent a more senior representative to speak on the 
government's behalf, namely a defense or interior minister 
responsible for security operations.

"The extremely low profile that the government is taking on this is 
a sign of the extremely low level of national dignity that 
distinguishes" the case, said Sen. Antonello Falomi. "A government 
worthy of the name should be raising its voice loud and clear 
against such a barbaric practice."

Pierluigi Castagnetti, a legislator who heads the opposition 
Margherita party, said he was aghast at the Giovanardi report.

"The government has admitted not being informed," he said. "In any 
democracy, a government that doesn't defend its own country's 
sovereignty is out of a job. Only not in Italy." 

This is the second time in four months that Berlusconi has summoned 
Sembler. In March, the ambassador had to explain U.S. troops' 
slaying in Baghdad of an Italian intelligence agent who was 
escorting an Italian journalist to safety after she was freed by 
kidnappers.

The agent was hailed as a hero at home, and Italy and the U.S. 
failed to come to terms in a joint investigation into the 
circumstances of the shooting, putting a strain on their otherwise 
close diplomatic relations.

*
 
Wilkinson reported from Rome and Miller from Washington.









--------------------------
Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list, [EMAIL 
PROTECTED]
--------------------------
Brooks Isoldi, editor
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://www.intellnet.org

  Post message: [email protected]
  Subscribe:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Unsubscribe:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]


*** FAIR USE NOTICE. This message contains copyrighted material whose use has 
not been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. OSINT, as a part of 
The Intelligence Network, is making it available without profit to OSINT 
YahooGroups members who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the 
included information in their efforts to advance the understanding of 
intelligence and law enforcement organizations, their activities, methods, 
techniques, human rights, civil liberties, social justice and other 
intelligence related issues, for non-profit research and educational purposes 
only. We believe that this constitutes a 'fair use' of the copyrighted material 
as provided for in section 107 of the U.S. Copyright Law. If you wish to use 
this copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use,' 
you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/osint/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 


Reply via email to