"...an independent panel reported that planning for postwar Iraq was
inadequate. So is planning for postwar America, over here."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8767915/site/newsweek/

Scrap Metal, Not Soldiers
Will the newest addition to city streets be a guy sitting in front of
a Starbucks with a cup and a cardboard sign that says IRAQ WAR VET?
By Anna Quindlen
Newsweek

Aug. 8, 2005 issue - For my money one of the finest war movies ever
made was the 1946 Oscar winner "The Best Years of Our Lives." There
isn't a battlefield in it. Instead it's a story that begins as three
soldiers head back to their hometown. There they fight against
disenchantment, dislocation and the pervasive feeling among their
families and friends that they should just forget about the horrors
they've witnessed and get on with their lives. One of the most
powerful shots is of a long row of fighter planes, stripped of their
propellers and sitting in an empty field. Overnight they'd become
scrap metal.

The top U.S. commander in Iraq says we may be looking at a substantial
pullout by next spring. As Al and Fred and Homer did on screen almost
60 years ago, American troops will be coming home, trying to find
their footing, remembering what they'd prefer to forget. Will the
United States government serve as well as they have, or will the
newest addition to city streets be a guy sitting cross-legged in front
of a Starbucks with a cup and a cardboard sign that says IRAQ WAR VET?

More than a million men and women have served in war zones since the
terrorist attacks of September 11. The percentage of those wounded on
the battlefield who have survived is the highest in the history of
combat, in part because of advances in body armor, in part because of
sophisticated on-site medical facilities. The result is that there
will be a group of Iraq-war vets with catastrophic injuries: multiple
amputations, head trauma, horrendous burns. They may need medical
intervention for the rest of their lives. Yet already there has been
troubling testimony before the Senate Veterans' Affairs Committee that
severely injured soldiers are being pressured to sign discharge papers
before they've received adequate care.

That's not even counting those who come home with serious
mental-health issues. Last week the Army's surgeon general reported
that three to four months after their return 30 percent of soldiers
had problems ranging from depression to full-blown posttraumatic
stress disorder. But some veterans have told local papers that VA
hospitals are overwhelmed and that they're waiting months for
treatment. The VA itself estimates that nearly 200,000 veterans of
various American wars are homeless on any given night, many as a
result of substance abuse.

We also know from experience that there may be health problems still
to come. Agent Orange, the defoliant used in Vietnam, was first
discounted as a health risk, although it is now linked to an increased
incidence of diabetes and various cancers. Gulf-war veterans have
their own syndrome, although its existence too was initially denied;
it includes chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia. Government officials
need to resist the knee-jerk impulse to mimic the tobacco industry and
begin another dance of denial if and when Iraq-war syndrome begins to
emerge.

American business and industry also have to hold up their end of the
compact. Reservists, who have played a more central role in this
conflict than in any since World War II and who are not eligible for
some benefits accorded enlisted soldiers, must have their livelihoods
back. Soldiers leaving the service, many of whom joined in the first
place for the job training, must be employed. And those who re-enlist
or who have been disabled should be able to live with dignity. The
fact that military wages are so paltry that some soldiers and
survivors qualify for food stamps is insupportable.

Average American citizens have learned from past wars. Here are two
mistakes we won't make this time around: we won't forget, and we won't
blame the troops for political foul-ups. The gulf war disappeared
almost instantaneously from our historical memory, along with its
veterans. Those returning from Vietnam were treated by some fellow
citizens with a disdain that should have been reserved for the
officials who created that quagmire. American support for the war in
Iraq has eroded by inches, and in the wake of the attacks in Madrid
and now in London, the idea that it was a war on terrorâ€"and that we're
winningâ€"seems more than slightly suspect. None of that should dampen
the resolve to take care of the good men and women who took care of
business there.

In the lickety-split fashion of our times, there's already a TV drama
about the Iraq war called "Over There." It aired just as an
independent panel reported that planning for postwar Iraq was
inadequate. So is planning for postwar America, over here. Two months
ago the secretary of the VA went to a House committee, hat in hand,
because the agency had so grossly underestimated the number of
veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan needing medical services that he
found himself $1 billion short of necessary funding. Never mind the
yellow-ribbon magnets; patriotism is an empty, dumb show if it doesn't
include adequate health care, a living wage and decent shelter for
people who laid down their lives. The old movie tells the story: it's
a difficult segue from battlefield to home front. In 60 years we must
have figured out some ways to make it easier.

href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12hb5t7li/M=362329.6886306.7839369.3040540/D=groups/S=1705323667:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1122951699/A=2894321/R=0/SIG=11dvsfulr/*http://youthnoise.com/page.php?page_id=1992
">Fair play? Video games influencing politics. Click and talk back!</a>.</font>