"The threat...comes from cheap, relatively short-range ballistic
missiles such as the Russian-designed Scud, brought close to U.S.
shores aboard commercial ships that avoid inspection by remaining
outside territorial waters."

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?F=1003372&C=thisweek

Posted 08/01/05 19:14    Print-friendly version
What if Terror Strikes From the Sea?
$1 Billion Plan To Defend U.S. Coastline

By CHRISTOPHER P. CAVAS

The specter of Scud-like ballistic missiles launched against the U.S.
coast from a merchant ship commandeered by terrorists is increasingly
worrying Pentagon planners, who admit they have no defenses to defeat
such a threat.

But a missile system to protect the heavily populated northeast
corridor of the United States can be developed and fielded within
three years, Lockheed Martin officials said last week. The price: just
over $1 billion.

The threat, said Dave Kier of the company�s Horizontal Integration
organization, comes from cheap, relatively short-range ballistic
missiles such as the Russian-designed Scud, brought close to U.S.
shores aboard commercial ships that avoid inspection by remaining
outside territorial waters. Lockheed has spent more than a year
analyzing the problem, Kier said, and is proposing countermeasures
using existing detection systems, U.S. Army Patriot Advanced
Capability-3 missile batteries and U.S. Navy Aegis ships.

The effort, funded entirely so far by Lockheed, is based on the
company�s own research.

Lockheed has been discussing its Asymmetric Threat Initiative with the
Missile Defense Agency (MDA) since 2004, but �we have only in the past
few months finalized what our proposed architecture would be,� said
Matt Kramer, a spokesman for Lockheed Martin Mission Systems.

The system envisioned by Lockheed is based largely on technology
already available, Kier said. Keying the system would be a detection
network based on a land-based system called Silent Sentry that uses
disruptions in the FM radio band to see incoming missiles, and sensors
mounted on an airship that would float for weeks high above the
clouds, he said.

Although MDA has not issued a formal requirement to defeat sea-based
short-range ballistic missiles, it is aware of the problem.

�That�s one of the things I�m concerned about,� Lt. Gen. Trey Obering,
MDA chief, told reporters July 21. �There is a difference of opinion
about whether it�s a real threat, but I�m personally concerned. So we
are working on it.�

Gopal Ratnam contributed to this report.

href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12hlqto8j/M=362329.6886306.7839369.3040540/D=groups/S=1705323667:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1122952716/A=2894321/R=0/SIG=11dvsfulr/*http://youthnoise.com/page.php?page_id=1992
">Fair play? Video games influencing politics. Click and talk back!</a>.</font>