Statement from Department of Homeland Security

The Department of Homeland Security is taking immediate steps to increase
security measures in the aviation sector in coordination with heightened
security precautions in the United Kingdom. Over the last few hours, British
authorities have arrested a significant number of extremists engaged in a
substantial plot to destroy multiple passenger aircraft flying from the
United Kingdom to the United States. Currently, there is no indication,
however, of plotting within the United States. We believe that these arrests
have significantly disrupted the threat, but we cannot be sure that the
threat has been entirely eliminated or the plot completely thwarted.
For that reason, the United States Government has raised the nation's threat
level to Severe, or Red, for commercial flights originating in the United
Kingdom bound for the United States. This adjustment reflects the Critical,
or highest, alert level that has been implemented in the United Kingdom. To
defend further against any remaining threat from this plot, we will also
raise the threat level to High, or Orange, for all commercial aviation
operating in or destined for the United States. Consistent with these higher
threat levels, the Transportation Security Administration is coordinating
with federal partners, airport authorities and commercial airlines on
expanding the intensity of existing security requirements. Due to the nature
of the threat revealed by this investigation, we are prohibiting any
liquids, including beverages, hair gels, and lotions from being carried on
the airplane. This determination will be constantly evaluated and updated
when circumstances warrant. These changes will take effect at 4:00 AM local
time across the country. Travelers should also anticipate additional
security measures within the airport and at screening checkpoints.
These measures will continue to assure that our aviation system remains safe
and secure. Travelers should go about their plans confidently, while
maintaining vigilance in their surroundings and exercising patience with
screening and security officials.
The United States and the United Kingdom are fully united and resolute in
this effort and in our ongoing efforts to secure our respective homelands.

--------------------------------------

For more translations and news on terrorism, visit
http://www.lauramansfield.com
or visit our forum at http://www.lauramansfield.com/forum/

Strategic Translations is a service provided by Laura Mansfield through
http://www.lauramansfield.com

You may email Laura at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Strategic Arabic Translations is a fee-based translation service
of LauraMansfield.com. For information on subscribing, please
see http://www.lauramansfield.com/ or email [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Archives of previous issues are available at
http://www.lauramansfield.com/archives.htm

Copyright 2005 LauraMansfield.com