Schuster: Al Qaeda's playbook evolving

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- British authorities have arrested at least 21
people suspected of plotting to blow up passenger jets heading from Britain
to the United States. U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said
the plans were "suggestive of an al Qaeda plot."
CNN's Tony Harris discussed the plot with senior investigative producer
Henry Schuster.
HARRIS: Henry, first of all, talk to us, if you would, about the details of
this plot and how those details to conceal liquid explosives into carry-on
luggage bags is indicative of kind of the evolving thinking of these
terrorist groups.
SCHUSTER: Well, Tony, I spoke just a little while ago with a former Scotland
Yard inspector who was involved in many of these counterterrorism cases, and
he says that there is a couple of things that you have to pull away from
this.
One is that obviously we're talking about, as he said, initiated devices,
suicide bombers.
Two, how would they over the period of years from 1994, when we first saw
from al Qaeda this sort of planning to put bombs on airplanes. In fact in
1994, al Qaeda actually pulled off a test run of one of these bombs that was
assembled on an airplane using liquid explosives and a detonator. In that
case, it was a Casio watch. Here the thinking is that it might have been one
of these electric key fobs.
So he says ... we're only talking about a small amount of explosives. Look
at what Richard Reid, the shoe bomber, had. That was only a small amount of
explosives, yet it was enough to bring down a plane, and that was much
evolved from what happened in 1994.
In 1995 and 1996, there was a plot to bring down up to 11 transoceanic
flights from the Pacific into the United States. This plot is very
reminiscent of that. So you begin to see where there's an evolution of the
al Qaeda playbook here.
HARRIS: Let me just ask you, why continue to target aircraft? Are there
vulnerabilities that the terrorists are aware of in the system to protect
all of us?
SCHUSTER: Well, there's a couple of reasons, Tony. And the first one is that
-- and I spoke to someone this morning who said, you have to remember, they
do what they know how to do. And in this case, they've been trying aircraft,
they've been trying public transportation for more than a decade.
I mean, you could look back to 1994. So this is what they know. I mean, we
expect them to be much more sophisticated and ... we say, why aren't they
going after shopping malls? Why aren't they going after other targets? But
this is what they know.
And there is -- think about this -- I mean, mass murder on an unimaginable
scale is the way the British talk about what would have happened. So the
impact here...
HARRIS: I see.
SCHUSTER: And then you have Osama bin Laden earlier this year saying, we
have plots under way against you that you don't even know about. Now, you
know, these guys do have a tendency to say what they mean, even if some of
what they're doing is propaganda. They don't make idle threats.

Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/08/10/schuster/index.html
FAIR USE NOTICE: All original content and/or articles and graphics in this
message are copyrighted, unless specifically noted otherwise. All rights to
these copyrighted items are reserved. Articles and graphics have been placed
within for educational and discussion purposes only, in compliance with
"Fair Use" criteria established in Section 107 of the Copyright Act of 1976.
The principle of "Fair Use" was established as law by Section 107 of The
Copyright Act of 1976. "Fair Use" legally eliminates the need to obtain
permission or pay royalties for the use of previously copyrighted materials
if the purposes of display include "criticism, comment, news reporting,
teaching, scholarship, and research." Section 107 establishes four criteria
for determining whether the use of a work in any particular case qualifies
as a "fair use". A work used does not necessarily have to satisfy all four
criteria to qualify as an instance of "fair use". Rather, "fair use" is
determined by the overall extent to which the cited work does or does not
substantially satisfy the criteria in their totality. If you wish to use
copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use,' you
must obtain permission from the copyright owner. For more information go to:
THIS DOCUMENT MAY CONTAIN COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL. COPYING AND DISSEMINATION IS
PROHIBITED WITHOUT PERMISSION OF THE COPYRIGHT OWNERS.