http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Artic
le_PrintFriendly
<http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Arti
cle_PrintFriendly&c=Article&cid=1156592170979&call_pageid=968256290204>
&c=Article&cid=1156592170979&call_pageid=968256290204

The Americanization of Canada by Harper
Prime Minister walking in lockstep with Bush, says Haroon Siddiqui
Aug. 27, 2006. 01:00 AM
HAROON
<http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Render&c=Pa
ge&cid=968256290204&ce=Columnist&colid=969907621513>  SIDDIQUI

  _____

I n 2003, much of our media and the Bay St. establishment, along with some
conservative politicians, such as Ernie Eves, favoured George W. Bush's
plans to invade Iraq. Most Canadians didn't. Jean Chrétien sided with the
people.
This year, much of our media and part of the corporate establishment, along
with most Conservatives and even some Liberals, favour the American combat
tactics in Afghanistan. They also back Bush's full support of the Israeli
war on Lebanon. Canadians don't. Stephen Harper has ignored the people.
You may like or dislike his act as the chief cheerleader for Israel and the
United States. You may even feel cheated that he had kept his ideology well
concealed prior to and during the last election. But at least you know where
he stands now.
What you do not know, except in a vague way, is where the main Liberal
leadership aspirants stand. They stand in different spots, on different
days.
Harper's assertion that the Israeli actions in Lebanon were a measured
response to the provocations of Hezbollah was only the start of his reading
from the American script.
Bush stalled a ceasefire. So did Harper.
Bush said no to American troops in a multinational force. Harper said no to
Canadian participation.
Bush cast the Israeli offensive as a "struggle between the forces of freedom
and the force of terror." So did Harper.
Bush tied Lebanon to the larger (failed) war on terrorism. So did Harper.
At times, Harper sounded more hawkish than the Republican neocon hawks.
Bush called the massacre at Qana "awful," but Harper stayed mum, and his
office made a point of saying that he would stay mum on the tragedy.
His MPs were coached to say they were "deeply saddened by the deaths and
injury of innocent people caused by extremist organizations in Lebanon,
Israel and the world." Israel was not responsible for Israeli bombs killing
and maiming civilians.
By the third week of the war, Harper tried to mitigate his "measured"
response position. But he only augmented it:
"Frankly, we were talking about three weeks ago when Hezbollah took Israeli
soldiers hostage ... But now we have a completely different situation ... We
have a full-blown conflict, almost a war, and it's hard to say whether a
response is proportional." (My emphasis).
At times, the Prime Minister has not even sounded like Canada's leader, as
in refusing to protest the bombing deaths of a Montreal family of eight and
that of an unarmed Canadian peacekeeper.
At one time, he tried to rationalize his stance this way: "There's a lot of
long-term strategic interests of this country and of the world at stake
here."
Protecting our trade with the U.S., of course. That, for him, might mean
supporting Bush, even when he disagrees. Or, more likely, it might mean he
fully shares the president's geopolitical outlook and wants to align Canada
with the U.S.
Inflammatory statements by Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay and by
Jason Kenney, the Prime Minister's parliamentary secretary, suggest so.
Then there's Harper's affinity for John Howard, Australia's right-wing prime
minister.
And there's Harper's speech in London in July touting the virtues and values
of the English-speaking world, a.k.a. the white man's club.
Combine all that and you get a good idea why Harper has been so sure-footed
in making Canada complicit in the death and destruction in Lebanon.
The issue here is not whether we should fight terrorism but rather how. It
is not whether the world should stand by Israel but rather how. In Lebanon,
the argument has not been whether Israel had a right to retaliate against
Hezbollah, but how.
As British Foreign Office Minister Kim Howells put it: "If they are chasing
Hezbollah, then go for Hezbollah. You don't go for the entire Lebanese
nation."
Or, as Daniel Gilbert, professor of psychology at Harvard, said: An eye for
an eye is fair, but an eye for an eyelash is not.
When the strong pummel the weak at will and relentlessly, they dilute their
moral currency and guarantee further wars.
A recent editorial in The New York Times said: "Washington helps Israel best
when it supplements, and where necessary restrains, Israeli actions, not
when it acts as a mindless echo chamber. America abdicated leadership in
this crisis."
So did Harper, by blindly following Bush on a failed mission that even a
majority of Israelis are questioning furiously.