http://frontpagemagazine.com/Articles/Printable.asp?ID=24040

Why Britain Stopped the Terror Plot
By Insight <http://frontpagemagazine.com/Articles/authors.asp?ID=1298>
Magazine
Insight Magazine | August 25, 2006
The Homeland Security Department has neither the legal nor technical tools
to match the British capture of terrorist operatives before they were about
to blow up passenger airliners.
Officials said U.S. law would not have allowed the FBI to conduct the type
of surveillance that led Britain to uncover the al Qaeda cell and capture
what could be the network's chief. They said the department also does not
have the funding to detect new types of bombs used by al Qaeda.
''What helped the British in this case is the ability to be nimble, to be
fast, to be flexible, to operate based on fast-moving information,''
Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said.

Officials said British authorities have greater powers of surveillance and
investigation, which facilitated the capture of more than 20 suspected al
Qaeda plotters. In contrast, they said, Congress has been reviewing the Bush
administration's warrantless eavesdropping program and military tribunals.

On Aug. 17, U.S. District Judge Anna Diggs Taylor ruled in Detroit that the
National Security Agency's wiretap program was unconstitutional and ordered
that it be halted. The administration plans to appeal the decision.

"If this program were to be halted, it would hamper our ability to foil
terrorist plots," said Sen. Mike DeWine, Ohio Republican and member of the
Senate Select Intelligence Committee. "It is a critical tool to prevent
America from being attacked."

But critics in Congress said DHS has failed to properly use its authority to
foil terrorist plots. They said the biggest disappointment was the
department's refusal to allocate research and development funds.

In August, the Bush administration sought to eliminate $6 million from the
DHS budget for the development of explosives detection technology. The
administration's attempt, blocked by Congress, took place as DHS's Sciences
& Technology Directorate failed to spend $200 million in research and
development money from previous years.

"The committee is extremely disappointed with the manner in which S&T is
being managed within the Department of Homeland Security," a June 29 report
by the Senate Appropriations Committee said.

Officials also acknowledged DHS delays in testing a new liquid explosives
detector supplied by Japan in 2006. Al Qaeda sought to use liquid explosives
to destroy as many as 10 American airlines.

"It is very promising technology, and we are extremely interested in it to
help us operationally in the next several years," Assistant Secretary for
Transportation Security Kip Hawley said.

But DHS, which spent $732 million in 2006 to develop explosives deterrents,
concluded that several commercial liquid explosive detectors tested since
2003 have been deemed unfeasible.

The department has also failed to deploy trace explosive detectors in
foreign airports to stop so-called shoe bombs. The systems have already been
deployed in most U.S. airports.

"To help close this gap, the percentage of shoes subjected to explosives
inspection should be significantly increased," a DHS report in 2005 said.

"Within the current state of the art, they afford the only meaningful
explosives detection capability at the checkpoint."

The U.S. watch list of suspected terrorists has been criticized as vague and
often a waste of time for border officers. A July 24 report by DHS Inspector
General Richard Skinner asserted that U.S. Customs and Border Protection
officers lack "authority to make timely and informed decisions regarding the
admissibility of individuals who they could quickly confirm are not the
suspected terrorist."

''We've done a lot in our legal system the last few years, to move in the
direction of that kind of efficiency,'' Mr. Chertoff said. ''But we ought to
constantly review our legal rules to make sure they're helping us, not
hindering us.''