http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/08/28/whizb28.xml

I didn't think abduction would lead to war, says Hizbollah chief
By Patrick Bishop in Beirut
(Filed: 28/08/2006)
Daily Telegraph

Hassan Nasrallah, the Hizbollah leader, said yesterday that if he had known
the capture of two Israeli soldiers would plunge Lebanon into a catastrophic
war he would have never ordered their seizure.
"We did not think, even one per cent, that the capture would lead to a war
at this time and of such magnitude," he said in an interview on Lebanese TV.

Hassan Nasrallah

Hassan Nasrallah: regrets
"You ask me if I had known on 11 July (the day before the cross border raid)
that the operation would lead to such a war would I do it? I say no,
absolutely not."
Nasrallah also revealed that the original cause of the war looked likely to
be settled by negotiation and contacts which were under way to exchange the
captured soldiers for prisoners held by Israel.
The frank admission seems designed to quell in advance disquiet at the price
Lebanon has had to pay for Hizbollah's actions. More than 1,300 people,
mostly civilians, were killed in the month-long war, a fifth of the
population were forced to flee their homes and the country's infrastructure
was devastated. So far the most serious criticism has come from a senior
Shia cleric who claimed Hizbollah had acted without the consent of their
co-religionists by sparking the war.
The Mufti of Tyre, Sheikh Ali al-Amin, challenged Hizbollah's current status
as heroes, said: "Neither Lebanon nor the Lebanese people have any
connection to this war. The war was forced upon the country and the people."
His remarks have jarred with the prevailing mood of Hizbollah triumphalism.
A party official dismissed the mufti as "a man no one took notice of before
he said this. You just have to look at the people to see what they think of
us". To outsiders, Sheikh al-Amin's views seem sensible enough. They amount
to a plea for the establishment of a strong state whose writ runs throughout
the country.
"The Lebanese experience has proved the failure of communities and parties
defending and protecting themselves alone," he said. "There is no substitute
for one state to which everyone belongs."