http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2006/09/12/do1202
.xml&sSheet=/opinion/2006/09/12/ixopinion.html
Stop blaming America for terrorism
By Anne Applebaum
(Filed: 12/09/2006)
Daily Telegaph

'Poised as I am, halfway between the two cultures, it was a little strange
watching British reactions to events in America last week. It was a little
strange even being in Britain last week. On Tuesday after hijacked planes
had hit targets in Washington, where my family live, and New York, where
most of my friends live, I was standing in Bond Street, dialling and
redialling their numbers on my mobile telephone, unable to get through."
No, that wasn't plagiarism: it was the opening paragraph of an article I
wrote five years ago in The Sunday Telegraph, describing British and
American reactions to the events of September 11, 2001. Yes, I realise that
it's bad taste to quote oneself. But in truth, I can no longer remember the
events clearly.
I see them now through the haze of everything that happened afterwards:
Afghanistan, Iraq, Abu Ghraib, Madrid, London. Inevitably, I also see them
through the haze of cliché. The image of the Twin Towers burning and
collapsing no longer feels shocking.
Nevertheless, I think it's worth looking back at what people really felt on
September 11, 2001, because not everyone felt the same, then or later.
Certainly it's true that, five years ago, Tony Blair spoke of standing
"shoulder to shoulder" with America, that Iain Duncan Smith (remember him?)
echoed him, and that Jacques Chirac was on his way to Washington to say the
same.
But it's also true that this initial wave of goodwill hardly outlasted the
news cycle. Within a couple of days a Guardian columnist wrote of the
"unabashed national egotism and arrogance that drives anti-Americanism among
swaths of the world's population". A Daily Mail columnist denounced the
"self-sought imperial role" of the United States, which he said had "made it
enemies of every sort across the globe".
That week's edition of Question Time featured a sustained attack on Phil
Lader, the former US ambassador to Britain – and a man who had lost
colleagues in the World Trade Centre – who seemed near to tears as he was
asked questions about the "millions and millions of people around the world
despising the American nation". At least some Britons, like many other
Europeans, were already secretly or openly pleased by the 9/11 attacks.
And all of this was before Afghanistan, before Tony Blair was tainted by his
friendship with George Bush, and before anyone knew the word "neo-con", let
alone felt the need to claim not to be one.
The dislike of America, the hatred for what it was believed to stand for –
capitalism, globalisation, militarism, Zionism, Hollywood or McDonald's,
depending on your point of view – was well entrenched. To put it
differently, the scorn now widely felt in Britain and across Europe for
America's "war on terrorism" actually preceded the "war on terrorism"
itself. It was already there on September 12 and 13, right out in the open
for everyone to see.
Since then, the changes in both foreign and domestic policy in the US have
been profound. Although I don't need to remind anyone of the former, the
latter have been largely invisible abroad.
Living in Washington for the past four years, I watched as the American
government reorganised itself, often clumsily, much as it reorganised in the
late 1940s, at the start of the Cold War.
The Bush Administration – with the support of the Democrats in Congress and
elsewhere – created an enormous new Department of Homeland Security, a new
directorate of intelligence. The Department of State finally shifted its
attention to the Muslim world; new funds were made available for the study
of Arabic and Farsi.
For better or for worse, the conversation in Washington changed
dramatically, too, and as a result is now largely focused on problems of
Islamic fundamentalism, the Middle East, and democracy (and the lack
thereof) in the Arab world. For better or for worse, the "war on terrorism"
has become what the Cold War used to be: the focal point of American foreign
policy, the central concern around which everything else is organised.
The same cannot be said of Europe. Despite the fact that the worst
subsequent terrorist attacks have taken place here, not in the US – and
although it now appears that the most dangerous pool of Islamic fanatics is
here, not the Middle East – I don't detect a similar desire in London or
Berlin to rearrange priorities or to change the tone of national debate, let
alone to forge a stronger alliance with the US or to engage in what ought to
be a joint project.
In part, this is thanks to the extraordinary diplomatic failure of the Bush
Administration, which, believing its military power entitled it to
arrogance, spurned America's traditional alliances and launched a war in
Iraq without making any preparations for the consequences. Although much of
the past year has been spent making up lost ground, it's hard to see how
this President, at least, is ever going to be able to build the kind of
international coalition necessary to fight what will have to be an
international war of ideas against radical fundamentalism.
But perhaps Europe's failure to enthusiastically join the "war on terrorism"
was in some sense preordained. While not entirely incorrect, the notion that
President Bush has wasted international post-9/11 sympathy is not entirely
accurate either. As I say, at the time of the attacks, influential
Europeans, and influential Britons, were already disinclined for their own
reasons to sympathise with any American tragedy.
Instead of pointing fingers, the fifth anniversary of 9/11 might be a good
time to reverse course. If "war on terrorism" has become an unpopular term,
then call it something else. Call it a "war on fanaticism". Or – as we used
to say in the Cold War – call it a "struggle for hearts and minds" in the
Islamic communities of Europe and the Middle East. For whatever it's called,
it won't succeed without both American and European support, without
American and European mutual sympathy. And whatever it's called, if it
fails, the consequences will be felt on both sides of the Atlantic.
Comments
Let's go back in time. At the end of the 1990s, the US was engaged in an
orgy of arrogant - and as we have seen from Enron etc. - supremely corrupt
business expansion. The US was treading on everyone's toes, and doing
business in a dishonest way. To pile arrogance on arrogance, when the 9/11
attacks occured, Americans embarked on another orgy: one of faux innocence
and a claim that they had done nothing wrong. The towers were a hive of some
of the worst examples of this corrupt global business aparatus. It is no
surprise it was attacked. The day Americans come close to admitting they
have a bad inlfuence on the world, will be the day we might be able to cool
things down and get some peace.
Posted by Bob Macdonald on September 12, 2006 9:26 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20Bob%20Macdonald%20-%20September%2012,%202006%209:2
6%20AM> Report this comment
To change the hearts and minds of the Islamic community in Britain can only
be acheived by integration, in my opinion, the one with the other.

Ask Mr and Mrs Average British Citizen to break bread with or generally hob
nob over the garden fence with Muslim neighbours and I suspect there would
be few volunteers, and vice versa.

If, however, there were stringent and enforceable laws in place which would
require immigrants to learn our language and acknowledge our culture,
instead of them trying to impose their way of life upon us. Then perhaps
some progress toward integration would be made. G Brown
Posted by gordon brown on September 12, 2006 9:23 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20gordon%20brown%20-%20September%2012,%202006%209:23
%20AM> Report this comment
The edition of Question Time after 9/11 was the watershed for me in how I
see the BBC, and indeed most of those on the left. The aggression
demonstrated by those in the audience, who had clearly been selected by the
BBC for such a purpose, was breathtaking. From that day on I have never
taken anything the BBC has produced at face value. The West and America in
particular, has nothing to apologise for. Islamic terrorism reflects the
economic failure of Islamic states that, rather than looking inward for the
causes of this failure, prefer to embrace victim hood and blame the US.
Posted by Peter Arnold on September 12, 2006 9:20 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20Peter%20Arnold%20-%20September%2012,%202006%209:20
%20AM> Report this comment
History did not start on 11th September 2001. Residents of the US were
largely responsible for funding terrorism in Ireland and that should not be
casually forgotten.

As far as anti Americanism is concerned, it is more the ignorance that has
been evident in foreign policy that irritates, rather than any animosity
towards the American people. There is no evidence to support any fundamental
understanding of the Middle East in senior figures in the current US
administration, nor is their any evidence of a cohesive plan for the
invasion of Iraq. When last I saw any statistics, only 5% of the US
population held passports and only 20% of Congress. With the outside world
seemingly holding so little interest, US influence in overseas actions need
not always be welcomed or admired. Our own involvement is not to be admired
either and that may also fuel resentment of US activity, by association. I'm
sure Bush and his cohorts think they mean well, but foreign policy is not
just foreign to the Bush administration in its geographical meaning.
Posted by Hamish on September 12, 2006 9:17 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20Hamish%20-%20September%2012,%202006%209:17%20AM>
Rubbish. Empty, pointless rubbish.
Posted by Bill on September 12, 2006 9:16 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20Bill%20-%20September%2012,%202006%209:16%20AM>
The scorn felt world-wide for America's militaristic approach to the rest of
us was there long before September 12th or even the 11th, or even before
that. It existed in proportion to the injustice visited on the rest of the
world by an America besotted by its narcissistic focus on its own interests
at the expense of others, and grows in proportion to the death and
destruction visited on the innocent by America and its protegees and
partners.

You want to win the struggle for the hearts and minds of others? Stop
thinking that could possibly happen while you subjugate them to achieve your
strategic goals. Stop imagining that it's merely a defective PR exercise
that's created the animosity, and deal with the root cause: America's
hostile, destructive behaviours. Recognise among other evils the role
America has played in preventing democracy with its support for the likes of
Saddam Hussein.

America may still become the force for good that the fabulists imagine it to
be.
Posted by Hasan Bateson on September 12, 2006 9:09 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20Hasan%20Bateson%20-%20September%2012,%202006%209:0
9%20AM> Report this comment
I am an unabashed supporter of America, except in one regard - America's
unequivocal support for the IRA when the IRA was murdering innocent
civilians in England. Perhaps the (sad and regretable) sentiment you saw
after 9/11 was a feeling that the biter has been bitten.

Posted by malcolm scoggins on September 12, 2006 8:59 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20malcolm%20scoggins%20-%20September%2012,%202006%20
8:59%20AM> Report this comment
As Applebaum's hints but does not
quite point out: It is hard for us
Yanks to see what the Europeans
bring to the table in the fight
about Islamic fascists. Indeed, it
seems that most Europeans believe
the table does not exist. This
makes forming an alliance difficult,
as alliances are based on mutuality
of outlooks and aims.

The "diplomatic failure" of the Bush
administration prior to Iraq was,
ironically, caused by the very
reflexive anti-American impulses in
Europe that she decries as impeding
the war today. Chirac, de Villepin,
Schroeder - all of them, for crass
domestic reasons, cynically used the
UN-Iraq negotiations to deprive the
United States of a serious moment
before the Security Council.

Yes, many Europeans think we are
clueless or worse. Still, it's hard
even for persons sympathetic to
Europe to see a single thing many
Europeans are willing to fight
for - with the exception of
government subsidies. Americans,
not Europeans, are, mistakes and
all, trying to do something about
the enemy. Meanwhile, it seems that
most European politicians imply no
enemy really exists, even as they do
everything they can, including
throwing away freedom of speech, to
appease the non-enemy.

European denial was a necessary and
even sufficient cause of the Second
World War. Fifty millions died.
How many more will die this time
because Europeans cannot pull their
heads from the sand?

Posted by Scott Riley on September 12, 2006 8:59 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20Scott%20Riley%20-%20September%2012,%202006%208:59%
20AM> Report this comment
'Stop blaming America for terrorism'- America is to be blamed for betraying
the 'American dream'. Bush and his cronies on the one hand (mainly
Cheney,Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz as architects of the aggression against Iraq),
the Democrats on the other hand (mainly John Kerry with his failed, luke
warm election campaign in the spirit of political escapism). Before all the
Democrats are in charge of calling a spade a spade again. For that is the
essence of ‘checks and balances’ – citizens can rely on political
alternative(s) at all times. But governing the res publica demands
leadership based on public transparency and integrity. The world needs back
badly an America of spirituality and reliability!

Posted by Rolf Joachim Siegen, Kiev on September 12, 2006 8:58 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20Rolf%20Joachim%20Siegen,%20Kiev%20-%20September%20
12,%202006%208:58%20AM> Report this comment
Anne Applebaum is too simplistic in her distinction between "right" and
"left" in today's world. She has overlooked the alienation of conservatives
who uphold the rule of law, and who believe that the invasion of Iraq was a
criminal violation of the UN Charter.
Posted by Edmund Burke on September 12, 2006 8:47 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20Edmund%20Burke%20-%20September%2012,%202006%208:47
%20AM> Report this comment
Oh dear Annie.

I much respected you before this article, having read your milestone history
of the Russian Gulag system. My Russian Doctor wife also embraced your book.

But here you are just plain wrong.
Posted by Stuart on September 12, 2006 8:46 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20Stuart%20-%20September%2012,%202006%208:46%20AM>
Anne Applebaum is certainly a lady of perception and one that has managed to
see through the haze of 'patriotism' laid by Bush .
What Americans forget is that America sponsored terrorism (particularly in
my native Ireland) for decades, before the hen came home to roost. Yes,
Europe is anti-American, Yes, we do resent the 'poodle' stand of Blair and
Yes, we do resent the incursion upon our rights in all aspects of our lives,
by Homeland Security.
Re-naming the offensive will not change that. Bush has to respect the
democracy that he states to support, whether that is in Gaza, Iran or
Palestine.
He can align his country with Israel (driven mainly by his members in the
Senate) and arm them against the weaker ‘foe”, but he gains no respect for
his hypocrisy.
If he wants to defeat terrorism and extremism, he should first look to his
own Administration and understand Europeans do not take his fine words as
those of a great statesman, but of those of a desperate President of an
insular country, with a flawed foreign policy.

Posted by Seamus Conygham on September 12, 2006 8:21 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20Seamus%20Conygham%20-%20September%2012,%202006%208
:21%20AM> Report this comment
I am not sure that your correspondent is correct in saying that many people
in this country hate America and all it stands for, especially as this seems
to be based on the opinions of a few journalists and others “in the public
eye”. The demonstration of grief and support that followed 9/11 suggests
that for the majority this was not the case. These were spontaneous acts by
the much-maligned “man in the street”. What followed in the press were the
writings of a very few, and looking at the publications quoted, these same
people would probably take a contrary view whatever the subject matter – it
is “smart” so to do.
However, some things have truly annoyed people and caused a lessening of
sympathy for the U.S. These would include a grinning, posturing
pseudo-cowboy with all the charm and public relations skills of a
rattlesnake. Add to that a total arrogance and disregard for any opinions
other than his and his coterie’s own and the picture is most unattractive.
Why should we like or trust someone in the most powerful position in the
world, when we see that person initiate an action such as the invasion of
Iraq, which was clearly less than well prepared and based on no evidence
whatsoever?
I believe there is a great willingness and desire in this country to defeat
the menace that is threatening our societies, but this needs to be a
considered and co-operative response, not another screenplay for a kids’
matinee western.

Posted by David Segrove on September 12, 2006 8:10 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20David%20Segrove%20-%20September%2012,%202006%208:1
0%20AM> Report this comment
Unlike the fanatical muslim countries, the USA doesn't spend a lot of money
on propaganda. Really, we need to hear the American side of the story to get
a balanced view.
The second point that emerges is that moderate muslims should be cultivated.
Their views should be spread so the average European muslim will hear two
versions of his/her religion.
Posted by Alan Sholto on September 12, 2006 8:01 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20Alan%20Sholto%20-%20September%2012,%202006%208:01%
20AM> Report this comment
Well said. However, the islamofacist train has already been rolling too long
and it may be too late to prevent serious changes to society.

Posted by Peter on September 12, 2006 7:33 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20Peter%20-%20September%2012,%202006%207:33%20AM>
September 11 served a particular purpose for the American establishment, in
that it became the occasion for launching campaigns that had nothing to do
with its proximate causes and everything to do with prior strategic
obsessions.
In case of terror, it's been said that publicity is the oxygen on which it
thrives.

It is interesting to speculate on what would have happened if, say, global
media organisations were to get together and decide to deny them this
publicity, by not covering terror attacks as they take place anywhere in the
world.

In real life our chances of being struck down by a speeding bus in a busy
street are far higher than being the victim of a terrorist attack, and this
would restore a sense of balance.

Moreover it would also deny to terrorists their principal weapon the ability
to create fear. Terror might fall into disuse as a political tactic if it
could not achieve its principal objective.

This is a perspective worth keeping in mind as we go about our daily
business, instead of succumbing to the fear and paranoia that the so-called
war on terror has created.

Posted by
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/core/exit.jhtml?exit=http://Manchester> Dr
Kailash Chand on September 12, 2006 7:31 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20Dr%20Kailash%20Chand%20-%20September%2012,%202006%
207:31%20AM> Report this comment
Suspicious as I am of 20th century war analogies, I am not immune to the
irony that this time America is taking the brunt of a war and Europe is
hanging back. Perhaps when they have their own "Pearl Harbor" Europe will
join in.
Posted by
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/core/exit.jhtml?exit=http://hairybeast.wordpress
.com/> The Hairy Beast on September 12, 2006 7:30 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20The%20Hairy%20Beast%20-%20September%2012,%202006%2
07:30%20AM> Report this comment
What a pity the US, or at least the current administration and Anne
Applebaum - still cannot, or will not understand the Islamic world. It is
not complicated. Look at Gaza and the West Bank, look at Iraq. But to do
this would be to admit that US policy on Israel has been grossly, manifestly
one-sided. The fall of the Twin Towers marked the end of post Cold War US
supremacism -they should have learned from what happened but they learned
the wrong lessons. Why should we support the US?
Posted by iainmorse on September 12, 2006 7:28 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20iainmorse%20-%20September%2012,%202006%207:28%20AM
I don´t blame the US, Anne. Every right thinking person prefers the Western
option to the nihlism offered by the islamists.

However, I do blame your President for starting a war on a country that had
nothing to do with Al-Queda.
Posted by Anthony Horner on September 12, 2006 7:18 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20Anthony%20Horner%20-%20September%2012,%202006%207:
18%20AM> Report this comment
The current crisis cannot be thought to be parallel to the Cold War. Such an
analysis is deeply flawed. The Soviet
Empire was a European philosophy tacked on to a Christian-based culture and
the important parts of the Soviet regime were more similar in thinking to
the West than they were to the underlying cultures of Central Asian
republics. We understood what the communist ideology and policies sought(and
were at times halfway towards ourselves in the post-war Socialist
governments in Europe).
The Islamist threat now is quite different and we have no common basis with
the Islamic world, which does not in many parts even use the ideas of
democracy tongue in cheek as did the Soviets.
It would be an enormous error to think that we could apply the same thinking
to the current problem. Terrorism is only a trivial manifestation of the
true threat. A whole new paradigm is needed and a new approach to this
different threat to the West is needed.
Posted by F.Cunctator on September 12, 2006 7:17 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20F.Cunctator%20-%20September%2012,%202006%207:17%20
Anne is right. The "war" of the free world against
muslim mass murderers did not start on 11th
Sep 2001. It is simply perceived that way. The
"war on terror" phrase attributed to Bush since
that day has made it seem like an American
initiative. This misconception is part of the
reason that the west is made out to be the
aggressor. The war was, in fact, started by Al
Qaida against the free world, well before "9/11"
and the correct word to describe it is their own:
"jihad". For the west, the war being waged in
Afghanistan could better be described as
freedom's defence against jihad. It is important
that the aggressor is correctly identified.

Posted by R Brady on September 12, 2006 7:14 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20R%20Brady%20-%20September%2012,%202006%207:14%20AM
Valid assessment
Posted by Rick on September 12, 2006 7:10 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20Rick%20-%20September%2012,%202006%207:10%20AM>
Please, stand with us. But, if need be, Americans will stand alone. As
Britons once did.
Posted by Jim Salois on September 12, 2006 7:02 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20Jim%20Salois%20-%20September%2012,%202006%207:02%2
0AM> Report this comment
Excuse me. The rest of the world knows plenty about terror. Britain bombed
by the IRA. Palestinians slaughtered by Israelis. Chileans, Iraqis, Iranians
etc etc tortured and killed by local strongmen. Did America object? No, in
each case America funded the terrorists, whether it be the IRA, Israel,
Pinochet, early Saddam when he was "our" strongman, the Shah, etc. And on
9/11 the Americans got a taste of this horror. Their reaction? Well, over
100,000 innocent civilians have now perished in the US's "war against
terror". But you, like so many ignorant US apologists, simply whine that the
world should be standing with America. Only American dead count, I suppose.
Posted by Mod on September 12, 2006 7:00 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20Mod%20-%20September%2012,%202006%207:00%20AM>
There is an element of truth in this: terrorists really have no cause and
have latched onto 'Islam' as an excuse. True believers should long ago have
disowned them. The terrorists should be seen for what they are: a bunch of
psychopathic, dysfunctional killers with no respect for life, beliefs or
liberty.
Posted by swatantra nandanwar on September 12, 2006 7:00 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20swatantra%20nandanwar%20-%20September%2012,%202006
%207:00%20AM> Report this comment
The USA has one major success in the war on terror - since the September 11
attacks brought home the reality of terrorism, they stopped funding the IRA,
which is now no longer a menace here. The sympathy certain Americans I knew
felt for the IRA beggared belief; at least these 'radical Islamists' aren't
collecting money from rich non-Muslims in the UK, for all our alleged
disloyalty.
Posted by Spacy Sunday on September 12, 2006 6:59 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20Spacy%20Sunday%20-%20September%2012,%202006%206:59
%20AM> Report this comment
Without America, the rest of the world looks puny compared to the islamic
madmen that will stop at nothing to defeat and enslave us all.
Long live U.S.A (warts and all)
Posted by r bradley on September 12, 2006 6:58 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20r%20bradley%20-%20September%2012,%202006%206:58%20
Whether or not we blame the US full stop. I think at
this juncture of history it would be wise for us to
consider how we have contributed to this mess. We in
the western civilised democratic (sic) world have
reached this point leaving a bloody trail behind us.
I mention only the 30+ million of WWII and the 10+
million of WWI for starters. So we are hardly in a
position to totally condemn those who are against
our way now.
Posted by Ian Morris on September 12, 2006 6:57 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20Ian%20Morris%20-%20September%2012,%202006%206:57%2
0AM> Report this comment
Yet another American with a talent for missing the point. When the US really
puts pressure (like cutting its $3 billion subsidies) on Israel to get out
of the West Bank and dismantle the Jewish settlements there and to stop
treating the one million Israeli Arabs as second class citizens, then many
people in Europe and the Muslim world might just see America as a force for
justice, democracy and human rights, instead of a nation just pretending to
be a paragon and model for us all. This would also greatly reduce the number
of recruits to terrorist organizations. The latest US example of shooting
themselves in the foot was their licensing of Israel to slaughter Lebanese
civilians over the capture of two Israeli soldiers. And you still cannot
understand why you are loathed.
Posted by Barry Ward on September 12, 2006 6:56 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20Barry%20%20Ward%20-%20September%2012,%202006%206:5
6%20AM> Report this comment
As a former Muslim, and as a woman, I know that there are bigger problems
than the Western World is beginning to admit.

Islam itself teaches violence against "infidel" powers. The blokes who
perpetrated the London bombs were raised in the UK, were well educated and
had never stepped foot in Iraq, Pakistan or Afghanistan.

Mohammad Atta and other 9/11 attackers weren't radicalised until they were
living in Western Europe despite being educated as engineers by Western
nations.

Most Muslims won't commit violence but they support it. Islam is the common
denominator and we must save other women who were not as lucky as me to
escape from its clutches.

The goal of Islam is to create Eurabia, an Islamic state in which frightened
Europeans will become second-class citizens.
Posted by ASMA BINT MARWAN on September 12, 2006 6:49 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20ASMA%20BINT%20MARWAN%20-%20September%2012,%202006%
206:49%20AM> Report this comment
I, like many Americans, are getting tired of the "bashing" we receive
everyday from around the world. If we wanted to take over a country why do
we send food, tents when needed, medicines and monetary help? We ask nothing
in return and accept these items as humanitarian aid. While it is somewhat
old now to look at what the United States after WWII did for countless
numbers of countries big and small. No-one has ever told me why freedom to
come and go, the freedom to start business, the freedom of religion to all:
What is so horrible about these freedoms that warrants such an outcry
against us? We have even helped countries we have no diplomatic
relationships with. When a disaster hits these countries I do not see other
countries being first with aid/help.
Maybe the United States should return to thee "isolationism" that was
predominate in the early 1900's. I then wonder which country will fill the
void when we left. Lastly, there are many people waiting at the gates of
America to start a new life. I do not see and I have never heard of
Americans rushing to leave the United States for other countries to start
over!!
Posted by Theodore on September 12, 2006 6:29 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20Theodore%20-%20September%2012,%202006%206:29%20AM>
Until Europe and to a lesser extent the USA realise that terrorism from
whatever quarter is terrorism the status will remain unchanged.
The notion that there are 'good' terrorists (those with whose cause you
agree) and 'bad' terrorists (those with whose cause you do not agree) is the
root cause of the problem and the inhibition of a proper solution.
One can not applaud a Palestinian suicide bomber killing innocents in an
Israeli supermarket and condemn those who bomb innocents on a London tube
train.
It is imperative that the world condemns ALL terrorism and coordinates a
common approach to the problem.
Posted by Graham on September 12, 2006 6:19 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20Graham%20-%20September%2012,%202006%206:19%20AM>
The reason we got sympathy was Europe thought that we, like them, would be
terrified.

Instead, we got pissed off, and decided to do something about it.
Posted by Russ on September 12, 2006 6:17 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20Russ%20-%20September%2012,%202006%206:17%20AM>
Thanks for the insightful comments. Good article.
-Bob
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Posted by
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/core/exit.jhtml?exit=http://www.flickr.com/photo
s/manuel_override/> Bob Tolford on September 12, 2006 6:11 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20Bob%20Tolford%20-%20September%2012,%202006%206:11%
20AM> Report this comment
Like most folk I think the events of 9/11 where terrible, America seems to
think its all about democracy and freedom, and not about America's foreign
policies. I don't think the so called militants could care less what happens
in America or anywhere in the west for that matter. They only care about
what happens at home, the west's refusal to have any sort of dialogue with
terrorists (Who are patriots at home), will only end in more tears for
ordinary people.
Posted by Guy Middlewood on September 12, 2006 5:48 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20Guy%20Middlewood%20-%20September%2012,%202006%205:
48%20AM> Report this comment
Anne Appelbaum paints her personal picture of how the world should look,
with a touching sensitivity. She even writes as if Bush has some legitimacy
and authority in world affairs. The plain fact is that the idea of trying to
mould the world in the American image of democracy, is futile and doomed to
failure. We do not wish to look or live or think or even walk like Bush -
the one man who is ridiculed in half the world and hated in the other half.
Posted by Colin Dale on September 12, 2006 5:47 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20Colin%20Dale%20-%20September%2012,%202006%205:47%2
0AM> Report this comment
Ahh Poor America, nobody loves us! what a load of bullsh*t! - it's a
different story now it's the so called "rag heads" to when it was the blue
eyed, blond haired Irish man, singing "Danny Boy"! and he was being
supported by America in his so called "armed struggle". Is it any wonder
that people in the UK are glad to see you getting some pay back, christ
knows we lost enough people over the years, their deaths paid for by "dumb
Irish Anericans".
Yes, the world hates you and is it no wonder why? With your arrogance, your
attitude towards the rest of the world, your sheer ignorance in the way that
people live, but also the fact that you leave yourself's open to much self
abuse!
How can you "preach the rule of law" and then try to hold yourself above
it!!!!
God almighty, if you want to be the so called "New Empire" then for god's
sake at least act the part, get your act together and live your life the way
you want the rest of to live! - NOT preach one thing and live another.
Posted by Rob on September 12, 2006 5:46 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20Rob%20-%20September%2012,%202006%205:46%20AM>
Oh please, another American who feels that we should all be sooo
sympathetic. The Americans are not the only ones who have lost loved ones to
terrorism.

I have the strangest feeling that the Americans, yet again, thought that
they would arrive at a war late, help to turn the tide and come home as
heroes.

Well I am sorry to say that America has created this problem. It was a lack
of foresight at the end of the cold war. America did not perceive the
consequences of its post cold war "we are best and you must copy us"
attitude. An attitude that may well have been right then but since, has
created most of the current problems.

Please, let's stop this "War on terrorism". Why not try and put right our
past mistakes and help these people to progress up the economic ladder. I
find that people who worry about their mortgage are less inclined to wonder
about martyrdom.
Posted by Damian Thomson on September 12, 2006 5:31 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20Damian%20Thomson%20-%20September%2012,%202006%205:
31%20AM> Report this comment
As an American, I'm shocked to feel the virulent hatred from the various
forums - and it seems that the strongest is from the British. September 11th
happened before Iraq, there were terrorist events before September 11th,
there have been terrorists in countries opposed to the war in Iraq. I won't
even go into the anti-semitism. I didn't realize before what "haters" the
British were.
Posted by Alsion on September 12, 2006 5:31 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20Alsion%20-%20September%2012,%202006%205:31%20AM>
There is no particular reason to expect the U.S. to remain on good terms
with her "traditional allies" in Europe. The post-WWII order as it existed
through the end of the Cold War was an anomaly. For most of American history
- from the Colonial period until 1945 - the US was often at odds with one or
several European powers. What we're seeing now, whether one blames the
wild-eyed neo-cons or the cheese-eating surrender monkeys, is simply a
return to that earlier status quo. It is inevitable. My father, a man in his
70s, grew up assuming that Europe and the U.S. would be more or less on the
same side of most questions. I am in my 30s now, and I take it for granted
that when I am his age, Europe and the U.S. will be on opposite sides of
nearly every important question. I accept this, as most Americans must come
to accept it. Besides, the fact is that Europe is already full of radical
Islamists. They are part of the European polity and will only grow in power
and importance. Europe can't be expected to combat radical Islam -- Europe
is now a seat of radical Islam.
Posted by
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/core/exit.jhtml?exit=http://www.psyfin.com> John
Klein on September 12, 2006 5:10 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20John%20Klein%20-%20September%2012,%202006%205:10%2
0AM> Report this comment
Europe, inclusive of GB, will pay a huge price for letting its inferiority
complex regarding the US preclude an aggressive response to islamic facism
breeding unhindered and unchallenged in its inner cities and ethnic suburbs.

It is not George Bush's nor America's responsibility to build coalitions of
support against an enemy that Europe fails, or worse, refuses to recognise.

Calling the GWOT something else will not forestall nor prevent more dead
Brits on the Tube if your leadership has not the backbone to stand with the
US or the stomach to stand alone.

Posted by TBone on September 12, 2006 4:04 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20TBone%20-%20September%2012,%202006%204:04%20AM>
Heartfelt, I dare say, but out of touch with reality, the author has failed
to see how the anathema towards America has built over decades: they ignored
(even supported) the British fight against the IRA, and as for the other
European terrorist organisations of the 70s - well, Bush wouldn't know,
would he? Furthermore, the US has, under Bush Jr in particular, demonstrated
unutterably how oil is the reason for action - why aren't American voices
raised against the appalling injustices in Zimbabwe? (No oil, stupid!) As
for the "War on Terror" - that logo on US TV incenses me, for all the
reasons mentioned, and because it means nothing. When will the US seriously
start to try to understand why so many people hate them, and why most of us
Brits look at them with disdain? Until they start to educate and inform
their own people (who are woefully ignorant of what is happening outside the
USA), there will be no hope of a major shift in opinion. I am personally
sick of the logo, of the President and the whingeing. And as for Tony Blair
and his subservience towards a man of such limited intelligence, education
and ability? Words fail me...
Posted by Sharmian Niel on September 12, 2006 3:59 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20Sharmian%20Niel%20-%20September%2012,%202006%203:5
9%20AM> Report this comment
Stop blaming US/Clinton et al and the British/Blair et al for our war crime
Kosovo war? (App. B/Rambouillet) Why not blame Bush et al and Blair for
their/OUR war crimes in the Iraq war and occupation?

Only the East is guilty?

Ms Appelbaum's irresponsible mentality is exactly what got us into this
MESS.

Clinton, Bush, and Blair and their gangs should be brought to Truth and
Justice, while the West may still have some chance of recouping the East's
respect.

Only when we accept justice ourselves do we have the right to see/demand it
be done to others.

Posted by
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/core/exit.jhtml?exit=http://LCoat.tripod.com>
Lou Coatney (1st Alamein) on September 12, 2006 3:50 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20Lou%20Coatney%20(1st%20Alamein)%20-%20September%20
12,%202006%203:50%20AM> Report this comment
Yes, it used to be called "War for Peace" in the USSR.
Posted by lil on September 12, 2006 3:39 AM

<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:%20xml=/opinio
n/2006/09/12/do1202.xml%20lil%20-%20September%2012,%202006%203:39%20AM>
The only continent lagging behind after September 11 2001 is Europe.

I believe that military intervention is but one tool in a large array of
different options the west can draw on to stem and defeat terrorism. Perhaps
the most valuable tool in this fight is 'good old fashioned police and
intelligence work'.

There is however, a fly in the ointment;

The EU, with its inability to act, its endless beaucracy, its thinly veiled
anti-Americanism, represents a dangerous obstacle to global police and
intelligence co-operation against terrorism and thus the security and
wellbeing of the citizens of the EU.

Posted by Ash on September 12, 2006 3:12 AM